Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    That's great!
    Really a fantastic job. I can't wait to see the video and to go forward in the MMO development
    Artanis

My Blog (Italian): http://www.artanis.it
    My Web Site (Italian/English): http://www.fabriziotobia.com
    My Community (Italian): http://www.darksithlords.it

Very nice work. With those draw call counts, you should start thinking about airports.

I just didn't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big the world was.

Looks awesome Lee! I assume with a terrain larger than 13 patches across, Unity will basically ignore patches beyond the viewable range (1000m), however this can be be streamed in as the player moves towards the viewable edge.

/me is not a code guy ... so my question may be answered in your original post ...

Very impressive. I am really looking forward to seeing how this is all coded and get it implemented to start playing around with it.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Impressive indeed Lee, great work as usual. Look forward to watching the video set on all of this.

XNA Tip #1: Take it easy on the garbage collector, and your performance will thank you.

I find these R&D videos to be far more interesting than I ever thought possible. Getting in on the process of trying things out is educational. I am learning how to experiment in Unity without the aimless half-formed code snippets and lack of focus.
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by D.M.J. View Post
    I find these R&D videos to be far more interesting than I ever thought possible. Getting in on the process of trying things out is educational. I am learning how to experiment in Unity without the aimless half-formed code snippets and lack of focus.
    I agree 100% ... It seems like before this class and before being a member sponsor I was just kind of hit and miss with my concepts, After watching how the 3D Buzz guys do things it has me really excited about coding things and really applying the concepts I am learning.

For example, I created a really robust asset importing pipeline that attaches scripts, setup variables, and even writes code chunks for me all when unity consumes a Maya model. Like a house saved in Maya and loaded in unity will get a door script attached to the door, all lights will import and get setup, and even things like TVs will get custom materials built and applied to allow streaming video. My script does it all and I dont have to touch anything. Then I just drag and drop it in scene and without any extra work I hit play and the house comes alive. Now all I have to do is create new stuff in Maya and import it and I am done ... I like to say "no more tedious mucking about in hyperspace" ... I did most of that based on what I learned in the Terrain R&D videos. So hey thanks for the awsome videos!

Hmm...I think that I could easily pull that off using the method I brought up in another thread...that I mentioned during the class, too...
    I would start off by generating the terrain via Terragen, perhaps sculpt my own terrain heightmap, then I would go in, export that as an .LWO object to import into a 3D app like Milkshape, which I believe is the only app I have that will take in terrain .LWOs (tried this with Blender, but the .LWO from Terragen won't work in that), I'd also capture texture renders from Terragen, and save those out to be associated with the terrain when I bring that into Unity, as well as generating a normal map for it. Then I'd tweak the terrain in Milkshape to allow for the features like a cavern, or a cliff-overhang, or a tunnel, or something, and then I would re-export that as an .FBX, then bring that into Unity, then texture it up, wham-oh...terrain made as a static mesh. That's still something I consider very much when it comes to terrain.

Although I'll have to find out if Messiah Studio will take in Terragen .LWOs at all...that's something to think about.
    Nice job with the terrain that you're doing, tho, Lee...keep it up!
    Last edited by WedgeBob; 02-17-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

The size of that terrain is very impressive. Thanks for showing us those pictures, as well as presenting them in such an amusing/ entertaining, way.

I do not know what LOD stands for. Can somebody tell me what it stands for?

Level
    Of
    Detail

Changing the mesh resolution as distance from the camera increases so as to reduce the load on the system. No sense drawing the hairs on an ant's leg if it's on top of a mountain on the horizon...
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast