Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The record to date was running through the terminal as they were announcing my name on the intercom saying final boarding call. Then racing down the gate as they were starting to close the airplane door. That was when we wrapped up the 3rd Person Platformer. Jason likes to see how high he can get my blood pressure to go.

Quote Originally Posted by busbyj View Post
    Yeah! No kidding! I told you we could have taken a look at the TerrainGenerator.
    Are we going in-depth about that in the upcoming R&D? It sounds advanced, but I'd love to see it (and play with its properties
    The 15th Crystal

Your #1 source for everything Square Enix!

Question

Well I am very happy, because I just watched part 3 of “Lee's Terrain R&D” videos again, and this time I was able to understand how they made the triangles. I feel really good about that, because last time I was clueless about it. It was difficulty but once I understood what they meant, it was fairly simple. I was misunderstanding what they meant at first.

The only problem I have now is that I am not sure what they mean at the end couple of minutes of that video. I am sure it is just because I can't see the cursor.

The part where they say that people want five of these sections, instead of the vertices. What is a section? Do they mean the mounds where the six triangles meet? In that case I am not seeing five by five of them. Can somebody explain and maybe show a picture of how this works?

What do they mean when they say that they have twenty five square meters?

Edited: video 4 to 3. It was part 3 not 4.
    Last edited by Wolfknightly; 02-17-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Section is a square. If you overlay a standard square grid over the hexagonal grid you'll see that there are 3 triangles that make up each square. When you say you want a 4 by 4 grid most people don't think about the fact it takes a 5 by 5 grid of points to make that grid.

Lightbulb

Is this what you mean by the squares? Do I have the squares correct here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrain_grid with squares.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	71346

Exactly right.

Wink

Cool! Thanks Lee. I am glad to understand it now.

Oh, man, now that I have watched part 5, I see that you show how the little squares are placed over three triangles, just like I drew above. But anyway, it did help me understand what I was watching at the time, so it wasn't a wast of time.

In video 11 of R&D series 3 Lee and Jason mentioned sharing the Targa file with us, anybody know where i can find it?
    Last edited by rme_2001; 03-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.

I looked around for it too. Doesn't look like it's uploaded yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast