Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm inclined to agree with DigitalDemigod on this one. I think having random dungeons would be to much of a stretch to try and justify. However if the spawns were randomly generated it would add a lot of possible replay value.
    Think Left 4 Dead, the map was the exact same every time but the enemy spawns changed every single time the level was loaded which allowed the same level to be played with different tactics based on which enemies were encountered in different locations.

I can think of one use for this in the MMO right off the top of my head. That having to do with Cyberspace, The Virtual World, or what ever it ends up being called. How cool would it be to have randomly generated virtual dungeons where you or you and a group of friends could go and spend a day running dungeons without ever running the exact same dungeon twice. Since these would all be computer generated there is no need to explain why it is different every time. It might also be possible to save a particular variant of a dungeon that you found fun so you could play it over and over if you wanted. Just thinking out load.
    Last edited by chronos78; 02-09-2011 at 04:19 PM.

like a video game that exists inside this game - it works.

Quote Originally Posted by chronos78 View Post
    I can think of one use for this in the MMO right off the top of my head. That having to do with Cyberspace, The Virtual World, or what ever it ends up being called. How cool would it be to have randomly generated virtual dungeons where you or you and a group of friends could go and spend a day running dungeons without ever running the exact same dungeon twice. Since these would all be computer generated there is no need to explain why it is different every time. It might also be possible to save a particular variant of a dungeon that you found fun so you could play it over and over if you wanted. Just thinking out load.
    And good out loud thinking it was Chronos. I really like that. That way you could have the best of both worlds. You could still have your static levels in the “real” world. I like random stuff if done right. It is also an interesting challenge. I have long planned on having random levels in my own games, that are non MMO ideas.

I also, don't think you always have to explain every game mechanic fully. Sometimes it is enough to say, it this way, because it is fun! Fun should always be the first thing on your mind as a game maker. Some things can be altogether ignored by the story, and just be put into the category of game mechanics. Playing Diablo, I never stopped to say to myself, “But this doesn't make any sense! Why has this dungeon changed shape?” It just meant I got to explore it again, almost as if for the first time. I didn't think of it as something odd for the game reality.

My big concern with the random levels, is for every dungeon to start looking the same, because the focus was on making rooms that need to be able to match up with all the other ones, instead of just making each spot look cool and unique. There are ways of countering that, but it is something that would need a lot of work to get right. That said, I feel really good about the idea of the virtual world having random dungeons spots. Having procedural looking dungeons would be very fitting for it's look. That could work for the “Spirit World” as well, if we end up implementing my Spirit World suggestion.

This is a link to my thread where I talk about the possibility of a Spirit World:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...ans-Cyberspace.

As long as you build your dungeon with pieces instead of creating it as a level, this is really easy to do. Dexsoft (http://www.dexsoft-games.com/) has several dungeon construction sets that you can use to get a system up and running. Honestly the hard part is modeling this correctly. Once you have the models set up, the coding part isn't that hard to do. It's possible that the modelling part is easy for an experienced artist but I'm a programmer and terrible when it comes to art. I think artists are magical beings. When i walk through the art department and see what people are working it makes me wish I was artist, man i wish i had that talent

Quote Originally Posted by Codexus View Post
    @mattcscz, That blog looks like a gold mine. Thanks for the link. I knew all those hours spent studying Japanese would be useful someday.
    No problem Codexus i hope you can get as much use out of it as i have
    feed me Rep

I like this idea as well. It reminds me of Diablo 1 & 2. I also have some dungeon maps that I made and would like to put them in the MMO as well.
    xbox Live: Palador

I think if something like this was to be done, in any type of scenario, it would be important to balance it out with some well crafted static levels, so at least to offer the player the choice of ample numbers of both types.

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

Quote Originally Posted by chronos78 View Post
    That's definitely a cool idea and a good way to be able to explain why the dungeon is random. I was thinking so traditionally before I hadn't even thought of this as a possibility.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

I think that having randomly created instances along with static instances is a great idea. Randomly generated instances really help prevent the bored-ism that can come with go over the same instance again and again and again (of course there is still room for static instances too).
    Ryan Zec

My Blog: http://www.underthecode.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12