Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Random Generated Dungeons AKA *Torchlight*

OK so another idea I thought to throw out there to help get the creative juices pumping at full speed, but wouldn't it be great for some of the instances to be randomly generated, there are games that have done it before...sort of like a Diablo/Torchlight style.

The dungeon will always contain the same bosses, give or take a few random rare spawns if you will, but what if the entire layout of the dungeon was randomly put together each time you run threw it...this would definitely add flavor for replay value for your players.

Im sure this isn't very tricky programming, its just a matter of thinking it all out before hand and deciding how best to implement such a system. Bosses could still be encountered at the same points within the dungeon, its just all those trash mobs and passageways leading up to them could be made random so your not always turning left...or sometimes theres a bridge u have to cross, othertimes its a tunnel type thing. I really think that might be kind of cool...just putting this out there to see what people think of the idea.

Boss areas could also rotate around if you liked, so the mini-bosses before the end boss could be mixed up, or even a selection of different mini-bosses you might encounter that randomly get picked once you enter the dungeon.

this is something I am planning on putting in the game that I am working on through the class, so seeing it being done here would be beneficial to me.

I had been thinking that you could use randomly generated (to an extent) height maps to structure the map around, then test it for locations to place spawns by way of checking to see if there's enough space for the mobs to spawn there. trying not to cross that bridge before i get to it.

Random mobs in a dungeon sounds fine to me, as living things can go as they please, but randomly generated passageways to me, doesn't make a lot of sense from a continuity perspective. If you had a tunnel into a mountain and you go in there and it bends to the right but next time you go in it curves to the left, how do you explain how solid rock is suddenly in a different configuration? I'm just not a big fan of randomness in the dungeon configuration, even in single player games, but I think if it is going to be done it works best in a single player game rather than an MMO. But like I said, random mobs and mob locations sounds fine.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Procedural generation of game levels is always very attractive to developers with limited resources as once you have made a good algorithm you get an infinite amount of content Some players like the replayability too.

Unfortunately I often think the result is just more of the same and lacking a human touch. I like that feeling that somebody has prepared the game for me, set traps to fall into and carefully placed where the rewards are. With the random levels you don't get that. It feels random and even if I can replay the levels, I don't want to.

So as a programmer I like random levels but not so much as a player. But that depends on the game, I didn't like Diablo but I liked the random levels in the original X-COM (aka. UFO) game.

I've seen this done a couple of times(unity), firstly by smokeymonkeys (project kryill) http://www.smokymonkeys.com/kyrill/ (couple pages down) and secondly a user called dragagon on this forum.
    feed me Rep

@mattcscz, That blog looks like a gold mine. Thanks for the link. I knew all those hours spent studying Japanese would be useful someday.

If I recall correctly Torchlight made extensive use of pre-built "tiles" which it then rearranged, to strike the best balance between random generation and the human touch. This sounds like an excellent match for Unity's prefab feature.

On the other hand, it could be a little tricky... You'd have to make absolutely certain that if a party of players enters a dungeon they all enter the SAME dungeon... If it's all generated from a common seed in a pseudorandom algorithm (which would save on hurling massive chunks of dungeon over the connection) you would have to make absolutely certain that the pseudorandom sequence is the same for every platform, in every circumstance, without fail, or what one person sees as a wall is to someone else the entrance to the next stage...

I would suspect you would generate the map on the server side, and just send the map to all the clients in the party.

I think this is a cool idea but for would affect the logic behind a persistent world. If you can come up with a reason why the dungeons would change each time you re-enter the area, then it would make sense. But I also have enjoyed learning an area and hanging out for a few levels. There is definitely places I could see this being a fun feature though.

-Dane
    You know you want to!

Your looking to deep into a problem that dosnt exist, each party that enters the dungeon would essentially be issued a raid-ID much like wow..or a token..all members of the same party are loaded into the same dungeon, none of this being in different randomly generated places unless your solo..and if that did happen, just exit dungeon, and re-enter to join your group mates.

But yes I think UNITY is more then able to carry this off, just have to have the assets setup so they all link together properly and by using a weighting system, different peices are able to be mixed with others to create different designs...with some trial and error I bet one could get this working, Torchlight got theirs working pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by D.M.J. View Post
    If I recall correctly Torchlight made extensive use of pre-built "tiles" which it then rearranged, to strike the best balance between random generation and the human touch. This sounds like an excellent match for Unity's prefab feature.

On the other hand, it could be a little tricky... You'd have to make absolutely certain that if a party of players enters a dungeon they all enter the SAME dungeon... If it's all generated from a common seed in a pseudorandom algorithm (which would save on hurling massive chunks of dungeon over the connection) you would have to make absolutely certain that the pseudorandom sequence is the same for every platform, in every circumstance, without fail, or what one person sees as a wall is to someone else the entrance to the next stage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast