Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    258

    InstaTravel Suggestion

    Just my 2.cents worth here..but please consider an insta travel system....Im going to pick on WOW for example..but really do you need to spend 30 minutes real time on the back of a griffen flying over all that countryside to get from the top of one continent to the bottom...seriously I'd rather suggest something else.

    My biggest gripe with the larger MMO's has been how they seem to put in stupid features that take away from the game, if you want to just jump online and kill some monsters or knock out a quick quest that'd be great, but mostly you end up investing usually 30-60 minutes to get everyone organized and at the location....I know I know WOW recently added the dungeon QUEUE system which is great improvement..IF your running instances...but if your just a low level casual player still grinding up in levels, that still wont help you summon your friend to you.

    So what I propose is two things to consider, the first being Portal Stones/Beacons whatever u want to call them, to teleport/summon your lazy ass from town to town, this means people can move threwout your world without delay, theres no hassel if your friend is on the other side of the map and you want to play, cause you just open up your map, click on the stone/city closest to where they are at, and poof your teleported close enough that walking to them isnt a huge hassel, and you're back to playing with your friends in a timely manner.

    The second suggestion is much simpler, people within your party/group are summonable by the group leader, so you just right click on their name and POOF they can be summoned to your location. Lets not copy wow and use those stupid summoning stones..casue again..the problem with that was, they only put them near instances for dungeons...but a lot of casual players dont run dungeons 24/7, they do quests in groups and grind on monsters....usually far from those handy summoning stones.

    So those are my 2 ideas...just food for thought, but if you keep the players addicted and happy, they'll stay on your game longer..and this seems to be my biggest complaint...I hate wasting time trying to get to the action, rather then wasting time being IN the action.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    5,302
    I don't see why there wouldn't be some type of instant travel for long distances.

    Elythians are magic users. Wouldn't they have some type of magic portals?

    Terrans are high tech. Wouldn't they have some high tech portal (thinking Stargate)


    I agree with what you're saying though. Spending time traveling in games like that is annoying. Though WoW I think had the best system and the shortest times. In SWG I would stand in line for an hour to get buffed, the buff only lasts 3 hours, then you'd have to wait 45 minutes for a shuttle... then when you got to the planet you may have to walk across the whole thing to get to your target and THAT could take 45 minutes to an hour... that whole game was a waste of time. 95% of the time spend in the game was not actually doing anything fun.
    Last edited by DigitalDemigod; 02-09-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Blackpool, UK
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDemigod View Post
    I don't see why there wouldn't be some type of instant travel for long distances.

    Elythians are magic users. Wouldn't they have some type of magic portals?

    Terrans are high tech. Wouldn't they have some high tech portal (thinking Stargate)
    What makes this combination interesting is that I can't think of any MMO game where there are both tech teleporters and magic portals. I think that'd make things interesting in itself as you'd have to make sure to find a magic portal if there's one where you want to go to and a teleporter would only allow you to go to other teleporters.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmobius View Post
    What makes this combination interesting is that I can't think of any MMO game where there are both tech teleporters and magic portals. I think that'd make things interesting in itself as you'd have to make sure to find a magic portal if there's one where you want to go to and a teleporter would only allow you to go to other teleporters.
    Yeah I think that could be an interesting way of corralling people towards certain areas. For instance in WoW how the alliance and horde can't just go where they please, there are certain places they can travel from and to and then there are the goblin areas where both factions can use. It allows the game designer to control where you go and how you get there. Not to say that there aren't ways around that (I ran a level 5 undead from thunderbluff through high level areas to Tanaris to get to the auction house. It wasn't easy and took several hours and deaths) but for the most part it makes it so that you can section off certain parts of the game with areas only one faction or the other can reach and then areas where both can reach.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    258
    yep im just suggesting that we may want to look at allowing the player to spend more time playing the game, rather then walking around trying to get to the fun...thats what keeps me happy as a gamer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,140
    I sort of agree to a point. I don't think travelling should be some kind of instant portal to anywhere in the game. For me that would cheapen the experience and decrease the scale of the game. Also you'd have people flashmobbing areas and porting away instantly. What I'd prefer is a system where you can call down/summon a transport to take you to one of many designated destinations. Similar to WoW flightpaths but much much faster and without the need to go to the first flight master...or maybe the summoning of transport from anywhere could be a level reward. But you should definitely gain destinations as you proceed through the game. Definitely don't give everyone access to anywhere from the start. Similar to guild wars.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Blackpool, UK
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDemigod View Post
    Yeah I think that could be an interesting way of corralling people towards certain areas. For instance in WoW how the alliance and horde can't just go where they please, there are certain places they can travel from and to and then there are the goblin areas where both factions can use. It allows the game designer to control where you go and how you get there. Not to say that there aren't ways around that (I ran a level 5 undead from thunderbluff through high level areas to Tanaris to get to the auction house. It wasn't easy and took several hours and deaths) but for the most part it makes it so that you can section off certain parts of the game with areas only one faction or the other can reach and then areas where both can reach.
    For me the combination of magic and tech is the most fascinating thing so it'd be interesting coming up with ways of merging them and hence in certain circumstances could link magic portals with teleporters. Just thinking out loud of course.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15
    seriously, just walking around for minutes is no fun at all.
    Sure, looking around the world is for some people cool, but why not just make some waypoints where you can travel to if you detected them?
    From everywhere, if out of fight. And it would not need some magic or what ever. Your character just walk the way he already "know".
    A game should make fun, and not a waste of time.

    Greetings

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Blackpool, UK
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by alptraum360 View Post
    yep im just suggesting that we may want to look at allowing the player to spend more time playing the game, rather then walking around trying to get to the fun...thats what keeps me happy as a gamer.
    Absolutely, we wouldn't want these things commonplace but at the same time we don't want people forced to frequently re-travel large distances they've already covered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toastage View Post
    I sort of agree to a point. I don't think travelling should be some kind of instant portal to anywhere in the game. For me that would cheapen the experience and decrease the scale of the game. Also you'd have people flashmobbing areas and porting away instantly. What I'd prefer is a system where you can call down/summon a transport to take you to one of many designated destinations. Similar to WoW flightpaths but much much faster and without the need to go to the first flight master...or maybe the summoning of transport from anywhere could be a level reward. But you should definitely gain destinations as you proceed through the game. Definitely don't give everyone access to anywhere from the start. Similar to guild wars.
    Good point, I also love the idea of a summoned transportation and I don't think that needs to be mutally exclusive with a portal/teleporter idea (maybe the teleportation really is restricted to very few places and only between large cities for example).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,673
    You will have to walk/run/ride to different places. Then back again. Its part of the game. Stinks but you have to in order to advance through a game.
    Now once you locate a town/city/area then having a instant travel to a major city/town via teleporter or magic. Ya that would work instead of like in wow.. jump on a griffin - go make coffee and a sandwich and eat/drink and you might be there by the time your finished flying.
    And for dungeons/instances ya if you are running a low level group through.. you will have to either get a summon there or RUN cause you can't use the stone to call you. But with the new way.. its nice... group is filled and poof off you go.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •