Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So No Code, No Scenes

Since you guys aren't going to provide code / scenes /.unity projects. What will the rules be if we are typing in the code and building stand ins for the assets that you dont provide, then start providing them/it to students?

Since there is some subset of us that will have Unity Pro, we can start using Github or Assembla to build a community version of the Unity MMO project and use the integrated VCS support.

Or anyone have a spare copy of Asset Server they are willing to expose to the Internet?

(Hey I wonder if Unity3D would be willing to do this for the publicity?)
    Adam Hill

I'd recommend reading the article / watching the introductory video:

One thing we won’t be making available, however, are blocks or snippets of source code. I think I just heard an audible groan when you read that. I realize this will probably frustrate one or two of you out there, but I hope you understand where we’re coming from here. If any of you out there have tried to seek out training in programming, you know the value of just looking at how someone handled a particular issue by reading through their code. We understand this.

However, that’s where we run into a security issue. There are plenty of folks out there who’d rather just read over our source than actually subscribe and take part in the class. Combine this with how easy it is for anyone to just copy/paste a block of code, and you start to see that giving out our code opens up a can of worms in terms of keeping people wanting to stay subscribed. While I wish I could just hand out the source to everyone, I’ve got to be able to keep our servers running somehow. So we’re not going to making the source available outside of what you see in the videos.
    Very tl;dr but yeah.

It goes the same for the assets 3DBuzz supply:
    But when it comes to a publicly available version, we ask that you take the necessary steps to acquire some assets of your own. Basically, think of our assets as learning tools to help you focus on what you want to know, not as free assets for you to make your own game. Besides, we’re actually making a game, so if you use all of our assets, everyone will know you copied us!
    I assume the basis are: You cannot release the source code of the MMO (ever) and you cannot use the Assets for a commercial or "real" MMO. I understand what you meant but the code for the server and client would still be owned by 3DBuzz even if you performed the hardship of re-engineering and re-writing it. I myself would find that unfair cause that's basically what we're paying to learn and you would be releasing this prized class to the general public.
    Last edited by Kyuu; 02-08-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamhill View Post
    Or anyone have a spare copy of Asset Server they are willing to expose to the Internet?
    The problem with the asset server is that the server is free, it is the client that cost the $500 dollars.

Even if they were offering a free client to me, I would still use GIT/SVN (heard many bad things about the assets server). Personally I am going to be using GIT as I already have experience with SVN.
    Ryan Zec

My Blog: http://www.underthecode.com

I love seeing "tl;dr" remarks. I suppose the article should have been thus:

We're making an MMO, and turning it into a class.
    We made a tech demo about 6 months ago. It was great.
    The class available to Member Sponsors.
    Each month you pay gets you 1 month of access.
    No source code. Bite me.

Then reading/comprehension concerns wouldn't be an issue... well, not as much of an issue. These days I probably needed a lot more smileys, numbers, and random acronyms for it to be actually legible.

I'd really prefer it if code wasn't shared around. Too easy for someone outside the class to join in, thereby getting a significant benefit from one of our services that you guys are already paying for.
    Last edited by Zak; 02-08-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I love seeing "tl;dr" remarks. Next time I'll stick with "You don't get code. Bite me."
    Oh you guys so should've done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zecster View Post
    The problem with the asset server is that the server is free, it is the client that cost the $500 dollars.

Even if they were offering a free client to me, I would still use GIT/SVN (heard many bad things about the assets server). Personally I am going to be using GIT as I already have experience with SVN.
    Honestly, I've had great experiences with SVN and GIT for source code, but horrible experiences when it comes to art assets. The Halo Wars code base was terrabytes in size. I'm pretty sure this project won't get that big but if it did, something like perforce works really well. You can use perforce for free with a limit of 2 connections. Just something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I'd really prefer it if code wasn't shared around. Too easy for someone outside the class to join in, thereby getting a significant benefit from one of our services that you guys are already paying for.
    I can't agree more.
    Sharing code, assets etc developed for this MMO should be illegal and thereby be punished.

Personally, I'm glad that the code isn't shared. I don't want the code and I don't want it to be available.

I don't want any code I write to be tainted by the doubt that it could come from the class and not truly belong to me.

I'm not going to copy what I see in the videos anyway. I do not always agree with how things are done in VTMs. This is not to say that the videos aren't good. There are multiple ways of doing the same code. In the videos, simplicity could be deemed more important than flexible design for example. Also a lot of it is simply a question of personal preferences.

However there are going to be good ideas, and things I will learn. And when I use those to create my own code to do whatever I want with, there has to be no doubt that this is original code I wrote. The fact that the code source is not available protects me from that problem.

as members of the class what will we have to work with locally ? as I understand it the Code is available via the video training we're taking, its just not on a link to download in one go, you have to type it in, which is great, so each student will have their own copy of this community MMO project anyways, at least that was my take on this when I signed up.

Now as far as Assets and Unity project files...ummm yeah..whats the plan about that ? It'd be nice again if 3dbuzz could give us stuff to put into this game, so what we are creating together looks the same locally on our machines.

Im a bit concerned, although im sure my fears are likely more from confusion then reality, but I'd hate to invest a year or so into this MMO class and not have anything locally that I get to play with or show off, also I have a question.

Will the 3dbuzz be putting the MMO class MMO online for us to connect to via a community client..or what are the long term plans of this. Again we all want to see/touch and taste this, you got us all addicted just by running the class...now we wanna know how much of the good stuff we get hehe.

Im also not sure why you guys dont all get together and choose from one of the many Open Source licenses for this project, set that in place before code/assets start getting created, and share that with the students..so we have a better understanding of things.
    Last edited by alptraum360; 02-09-2011 at 08:31 AM.

They have made the tech demo, does that mean they build the game upon that, or are they gonna start from the beginning again so we can follow ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast