Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To be honest, I hadn't even realized that my idea had a fixed outcome, but now that you point it out I think that more than one possible outcome would be best. Players shaping the world through their actions would feel much more connected and therefore care more about the game. Which would in turn keep them playing longer

I personally like one time eVents in games and is probably one of the main reasons i love MUDs. The problem is it takes tons of development time and money for one event that will never be used again. The plus side is it creates a more realistic world that promotes history and roleplaying. It is good when done in a way where a player isn't missing out. I played a game where my guild leader for years (a NPC) was killed in real time. They then dispersed the guild and set up a new system for joining that particular guild, ect. So when new players joined they would learn about the events that lead to where the guild was today and actually meet players who "lived" during those years. That is an awesome feeling when you have history with a game.

If every week this happened then the event would no longer be special. It is that fine balance of saying what is important to be unique but keep it fun. Some people say it's "just a game" where others hold it a little more personal. I think it is important to not try and please everyone. It can lead to a shabby experience that will satisfy no one . Not that i think this project is going to head that direction, I am just rambling...

-Dane
    You know you want to!

I was thinking more along the lines of every six months or so, not every week. That would be hell to develop for.

I have started to notice that one time events give players a point of reference in game time to that point of the character/players life. This includes releases of expansions, which are basically one time events that will never happen again, at least not in the same way. I have been in many groups or guilds where people will talk about where their character was during a particular event or what level they were or guild they were in at the time. And as a result, other players will talk about what they were doing during that time too. Sure players starting later would miss the events but I think it's important for players to be able to distinguish different times in their character's life based on events that can't be experienced again. It just makes the world feel more realistic and ever changing.

There is a balance to be struck between prolonging an event so that more people have a chance to participate and ending it soon enough that people don't become bored of it. The longer the event lasts the less disruptive it must be to the normal state of the game. In practice I believe the large disruptive events must be short lived. Right at the start of the event you will have a mass of people charging in to experience it when it first appears. Unless there is something lasting to be gained from participating in the event then there is no reason for repeat attendance and it will quickly drop off. Low attendance brings balancing issues and loss of the grand experience of enjoying it with a mass of other players.

That brings me to thinking about much smaller events that could strike people without warning and capture their interest. Perhaps after these grand events you could continue to have a taste of the same experience through smaller party based encounters similar to "Rifts". These could be set up to trigger for players who did not experience the main event to give them some context for the location. The larger event could end as soon as general interest drops off and those who did not experience it would still have a chance to see part of it without getting in the way of people who had already seen it.

Thumbs up

That all sounds good to me Avace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12