Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comment about one time MMO game events

I finished listening to the first part of the meeting and just wanted to point this out. During the gameplay discussion towards the end of part 1 someone was talking about players taking part in some type of event and I think it was Zak that then said what happens to players that join the game later, they won't ever get to play that event.

I don't know if MMO's did this before WoW, but in the first year of WoW they did a world event that took place on one day and could never be experienced again. It's been so long since I played, I don't remember if it was a new zone or just a new instance that opened, but what happened was the players knew there was some invasion going to happen. We had to collect all kinds of items and each server was tracking how much we needed. We needed millions of scraps of linen for instance, to make bandages. (of course this resulted in all of the level 60s decimating places like Westfall, making the game unplayable for lower level players trying to enjoy those zones where mobs dropped lots of linen). Then once your server had collected everything required, a world event was scheduled. Actually, I remember now, it was the Ahn'Qiraj instance. So the day of the event, all hell broke loose. Huge amounts of mobs were coming from the area of the new instance (unfortunately the whole event was laggy as hell since like me, everyone called in to work to be there for it. Server load was insane). All day we laggily fought off the hordes of bugs and large anubis-like giants and then the event was over and can never be experienced again, not even in something like the caverns of time.

It sucks if you missed it, but if you were there, it really brought you into the world and made you feel like you'd done something to affect the world. I knew that I had helped save the world because I had farmed linen for weeks. As opposed to I saved the world from the Baron and five minutes after I left Strat, he was alive again for someone else to kill. Oh and I killed him 76 more times in the quest for my mage pants which dropped from him.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

I think the better way of handling things like that, would be to have that game event take place for one week, not just a day. I don't think it is good to fuel peoples addiction in such ways. That kind of thing can brake up marriages, and get people fired. Give people a week or two, so they can experience the event if they want to. That way people still get to feel like they took part in a one time event, and yet they don't neglect their personal duties to their real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfknightly View Post
    I don't think it is good to fuel peoples addiction in such ways. That kind of thing can brake up marriages, and get people fired. Give people a week or two, so they can experience the event if they want to.
    But it makes you a boatload of cash. You would be a terrible drug dealer.

I dunno, Wolf, games like WoW already break up marriages and ruin lives. Not that I hate MMO's, I just wish I knew of a way to play them and manage my time.

Anyways, yeah I would agree a week or two long event would be better. The one day thing, really it was a cool idea, but I called in to work to be there and it was virtually unplayable. It was a mess. It was really, really cool, and the months long build up to it by gathering supplies was the coolest idea I'd ever seen. It blew anything SOE had done away. Things like that are why WoW is on top. But it was still a mess.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

I like your idea of having events set up over a few weeks. me for one does not play WoW because I do not have a credit card and I am Irish and we are poor XD. I just realized this could be the best thing for game design forever and ever

I liked Guild Wars system, they had event's for holidays that were a week long with special missions, and either mask's or mini-pets that signified that you participated in the event.

So in regards to the 3DBuzz MMO, if at some point there is going to be a 3rd race introduced whether they be pc or npc, when they are introduced to the game could be a week or month long event. Sure players that join the game afterwards have missed that, but the point being that it is no different than any time an expansion is released for any other MMO, like WoW. There were special events for each expansion and if you get them now, you've already missed it.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Those in-game, one time events make the world seem alive and make you feel like you are a part of that world; instead of just waiting for the mob to respawn so you can complete your quest (or killing the baron 76 times). Everquest had GM events occasionally and they were quite enjoyable (at the time).

The week long events are nice too. Ideally, it'd be nice to see a balance of both.

I like the idea of having events, but as was already mentioned, one day events would be too short. In order for more people to enjoy the event I'd go with those saying a week or maybe even two week long event.

As for my two cents, I'd like to see events that change some part of the game world. Like a war that ruins a city, or an architectural discovery that opens up a new dungeon. Kind of like mini-Cataclysm type events. Not often, of course, but maybe twice a year to keep the game fresh and new for those who have already been playing a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkie View Post
    But it makes you a boatload of cash. You would be a terrible drug dealer.
    Take that back!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper IV View Post
    I like the idea of having events, but as was already mentioned, one day events would be too short. In order for more people to enjoy the event I'd go with those saying a week or maybe even two week long event.

As for my two cents, I'd like to see events that change some part of the game world. Like a war that ruins a city, or an architectural discovery that opens up a new dungeon. Kind of like mini-Cataclysm type events. Not often, of course, but maybe twice a year to keep the game fresh and new for those who have already been playing a while.
    Yeah, Reaper, I feel the same. Only I would go one step further and say that the end result of the event would depend on what the players did during that week. So you would have to have at least two scenario prepared for the conclusion. Like if one side, say an attacking side, did better, then at the end the city would be destroyed, or at least greatly damaged and altered. But if the defenders of the city, did better in the battles, then it would stay as it was. I would do thing like that, if I was able to. Those kind of things really serve to make players feel like they are part of the world, and what they do matters. I think that is a very important thing for players to feel, so they don't just feel like it is a completely static world, with them having no effect on how the story progresses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast