Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I subscribed as suggested, thanks Zak.

I was wondering whether it might be possible to do notifications of classes and new videos in another manner as well, to avoid people having to constantly access the forums just to see if there is anything new. I realise of course that you guys are already doing massive amounts of work so please take this as just a hopeful suggestion for some time maybe, if someone has the time and inclination to implement it. My preference would be by email, ie an email sent to only the members of the MMO class. This would have the advantage that people would be able to easily access information sent in the past as it would be in their inbox, and it's easy enough even to make a separate folder in there for 3dBuzz mails, if you want a quick reminder of the time of a class or whatever. Another great advantage would be that the information would come to you rather than you having to rummage around the forum for it.

A second suggestion (yeah i know I'm pushing it here) would be for a Twitter account especially for the MMO class and not sent via the regular one, just to keep things separate. This could remind people closer to the time of an upcoming class, say an hour before, as well as provide an instant notification of when new videos are available. Again, this would prevent people having to constantly access the forum just to find out these things. Of course, the forum is great for reading and participating in discussions, but when you just wan tto know a quick bit of information like the time of a class or when a new video is up, it would be nice to supplement the forum with one or both of the suggestions i have made.

Anyway, like I say, just a suggestion and I won't go off crying to my mom if you don't do it :-P The whole project is looking great so far and the only thing i am worried about is how on earth you guys ever manage to find the time to eat or sleep, with the amount of work you do! I am amazed at the length of the sessions and how you never finish up until you have finished every last detail that you wanted to cover. If everyone worked like that I think our economies would be in a better state than they are :-)

Cheers,

Richard

Email works for me...

Never gonna miss a class now. Hurrah.

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheBlade View Post
    A second suggestion (yeah i know I'm pushing it here) would be for a Twitter account especially for the MMO class and not sent via the regular one, just to keep things separate. This could remind people closer to the time of an upcoming class, say an hour before, as well as provide an instant notification of when new videos are available. Again, this would prevent people having to constantly access the forum just to find out these things. Of course, the forum is great for reading and participating in discussions, but when you just wan tto know a quick bit of information like the time of a class or when a new video is up, it would be nice to supplement the forum with one or both of the suggestions i have made.
    I vote against this. RSS and thread subscription should be more than enough. If class updates and notices are through Twitter or any other social networking, I will miss each and every one. I don't use, and have less than no interest in using, social networking outlets.
    DocHogan

-------------
    Andrew- Illusions against a burninator? Silly, silly British man.
    Amanda- I put a time flux on Trogdor
    Andrew- Step down, girlfriend! You can't just-
    Amanda- Ninth level sorcerer, AND I carry the Emerald Chalice. Trogdor is frozen in time. Deal with it.
    Xander- Smack-down on Red Riding Hood. This could get ugly.
    Giles- How could it possibly get any uglier? I used to be a highly respected Watcher. Now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily.

I was wondering whether it might be possible to do notifications of classes and new videos in another manner as well, to avoid people having to constantly access the forums just to see if there is anything new.[...] My preference would be by email, ie an email sent to only the members of the MMO class.
    uuuuuuuuum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    subscribe to it and receive email alerts when we announce a new meeting.
    To subscribe to a thread, click the Thread Tools link at the top of a thread and choose Subscribe to this thread...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

fatgav: Yeah I get that, but that still means getting an email and THEN still having to go and look in the forum to find out the details. And not being able to quickly look in your inbox to check a time later. I am suggesting getting all the details in your email, not only of class times but also of new video uploads and perhaps additional news. For those who don't like social networking, although i don't really consider Twitter to be necessarily that as I use it as a kind of news and announcement feed, i would happily settle for email only.

However, i hasten to repeat that this is in no way a complaint or demand, just a suggestion, a feature request if you like, which you guys can take or leave. Judign by fatgav's response, you will probably leave it, but that's cool. It's nice that you took the time to read it.

I'd have sworn I put a in that post! Obviously not; my bad
    Not being a very email-oriented person, I don't use such features... I wasn't aware that the email doesn't contain the actual post content... so apologies for my misunderstanding. */slaps self*

Judign by fatgav's response, you will probably leave it, but that's cool. It's nice that you took the time to read it.
    It should be noted that I do not work for 3dbuzz - I am merely an avid member - and do not speak for the company.
    Don't be fooled by all the badge bling... there're people here with a closer / longer association with 3dbuzz than I have, who have none...
    Last edited by fatgav; 02-09-2011 at 06:27 AM.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12