Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    WindyBut_UK,
    Which fundamentals videos are you referring to? I'm still going through the "Unity Fundamentals" and although I haven't made it through to the end yet they did state that scripting would not be covered at all. I'm interested in scripting so that's why I ask.

And nice detective work. I'll make sure to make of note of this.

Go to the top of any page and you will see the eord Unity in grey. Now hover over that and a list of Untiy videos will be displayed. On the left of the menu that drops down you will the funamentals video listed there click and enjoy watch. Thats all there is too it.
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by WindyBut_UK View Post
    Go to the top of any page and you will see the eord Unity in grey. Now hover over that and a list of Untiy videos will be displayed. On the left of the menu that drops down you will the funamentals video listed there click and enjoy watch. Thats all there is too it.
    Yes, I have those and as mentioned in my post I am already going through, ie. watching, the "Fundamentals" videos. My question is of the "Fundamentals" videos, which one(s) talk about scripting? I know scripting is used in the Third Person Character Controller vids but I haven't gotten to them yet. I was curious to know which "Unity Fundamentals" videos go into scripting. Again I haven't watched all of the fundamentals videos or I wouldn't be asking.

EDIT: fixed typos. Can't type today
    Last edited by smjones; 02-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.

None of the Fundamentals videos cover scripting, yet. Only the Third Person Camera System covers scripting but I have heard rumors of "Scripting Fundamentals" in the works.

Thanks Lerich. Basically I'm just looking for the most basic videos establishing the first scripting. Maybe the "2D Game" is the ticket.

Sorry smjones but I went to bed ealry and thats why I never responded to your post. I see you are MS and so there is always the XNA course that you can do to get you up to speed on C#. I know its not Unity related but at least you can start learn it.

I know there will be a C# for beginners course as part of the MMO but I a unsure if that part will be "Free" to all. As this set of videos has not bee released or indeed created yet you may have to wait for that one.
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

As WindyBut says the XNA 101 course is well worth a look volumes 1 and 2 are a must. Do all the knowledge reviews, you will not regret it.

Smjones I might be wrong but when windyBut_UK refers to the videos showing scripting I think he means the simple 2D shooter – that shows you how to set up the template in visual studio. And shows them using visual studio.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyBut_UK View Post
    Sorry smjones but I went to bed ealry and thats why I never responded to your post. I see you are MS and so there is always the XNA course that you can do to get you up to speed on C#. I know its not Unity related but at least you can start learn it.

I know there will be a C# for beginners course as part of the MMO but I a unsure if that part will be "Free" to all. As this set of videos has not bee released or indeed created yet you may have to wait for that one.
    No problem WindyBut_UK, I appreciate the direction. I'm in the US so the time zone thing is a disadvantage too. You know you mention that I'm an MS now and frankly I completely forgot that I have access to other stuff now. I signed up mainly for the MMO.

Actually I've no problem with C#, its what I use professionally along with C++. My interest is how Unity uses scripting that is written in C#. Here are some basic things I'm looking for:
    - connectivity C# to Unity
    - setting up a basic C# script
    - Unity scripting API (application programming interface) reference
    - Understanding how Unity uses scripting at runtime
    - events, event handling
    - Scripts in usage: input, AI, eventing, triggers (events), menuing?, game logic, etc.

It appears the 2D shooter game (which I suspected) might be the ticket. And thanks (Julie) for pointing that out. I just wanted the "Unity Scripting for Dummies" approach so when WindyBut_UK mentioned scripting being in the fundamentals I thought I missed something in that series.

I will do myself a favor and just play some of the first videos in that series and see if they assume you know how to do scripting in Unity or if they start you from the beginning.

Thanks everybody and sorry, WindyBut_UK for me hi-jacking your thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12