Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RPG Experience

I don't care to mention how many games I've played and run over the years, but a range of Paranoia, DnD, Vampire the Masquerade, Exulted, GURPS, Savage worlds, Battletech just to name a few. I'm also a really keen LARPer, some people say its sad and geeky ... Yeah! It is! and I love it!

I really want to put the old school RPG back into MMORPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    I really want to put the old school RPG back into MMORPGs.
    ^^+1... I'm with ya, babe!

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

For a long time I tried to fight against the use of the word "RPG" for video games as video games, while a lot of fun, are not the same as the experience of pen and paper RPG and there is no real role-play when you play a video game. Unfortunately that fight was lost a long time ago.

However now with MMORPG we start to see some role-playing happening, even if it's not that common and always a bit awkward. Still for me they are just too different to have the same name.

Also I guess there are sometimes people who play pen and paper RPG strictly by the book, taking simulationism to an almost video game like extreme and do very little role-play. And who is to say they are wrong? Everybody can play the way they want to, of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123