Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    nbyloff: Buzz mentioned in the first video, or was it the second, that they'll have the game completely play out on the server. That's pretty standard for mmo's these days. Leave nothing up to the client. Let the client be a dumb client, almost like a video player, where you can only do allowed actions.
    I figured as much, but figured there should be some sort of audit system in place on the server as well, for players that do try and enhance their characters by messing with values in memory and sending actions beyond their skill scope.

Of course, it's pretty much standard practice I think, so it will probably be implemented (I hope, it's a really exciting area for me)
    Dan 'pezz' Kronholm.
    Currently working on: The MMO class!.
    Previously working on: Game called "Boom Bots", while learning Unity and C#. WIP thread here.

I'm a huge fan of PvP, however, i really hate WoW's pvp. My favorite systems have been UO, DAoC, and Darkfall. The reason being is that all those games have awesome, objective based, open world pvp. I simply HATE battlegrounds, because in many cases they end up just being a bunch of people in the middle of the zone mashing buttons. I like elements of both individual skill and tactical strategy. World pvp provides a good framework for this. For example, some guild is raiding a tower you own to get it's relic so you're able to locate them in the world and device a strategy to sneak up behind them to get the element of surprise to defend your tower. In my opinion, open world pvp just provides a more epic and realistic feel to the game play.
    Last edited by jjguzzardo; 02-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.

I like PvP but im posting this as a "hope to be game developer" so:
    I think that its really important with balance, so that a low level player can get into the game without being killed hundred times, over and over
    by lvl 70 that are past endgame hunting in noob areas. I have seen servers/mmo die of this, the high level players leaving sooner or later and it
    doesn't attract enough new players to keep it open. It should be a system in balance, and hope it will show in playtesting.

APB: All Points Bulletin was a big hit at the time and did run as a beta but the investors pulled the plugg on it and it was sold. Poor pvp balance in
    a open world. There are articles for those who want to know more.

I quite like some of the design concepts used in EvE with regards to PvP. To make the game accessible to the widest audience there needs to be an encompassing rules set in place that will allow players that wish to enjoy other aspects of the game to do so without constant ganking, while at the same time allowing as much player freedom as possible for those that wish to "risk" it.

As I said, Eve does this fairly well, but even that system could be improved upon.

Just soooo many possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by jjguzzardo View Post
    I'm a huge fan of PvP, however, i really hate WoW's pvp. My favorite systems have been UO, DAoC, and Darkfall. The reason being is that all those games have awesome, objective based, open world pvp. I simply HATE battlegrounds, because in many cases they end up just being a bunch of people in the middle of the zone mashing buttons. I like elements of both individual skill and tactical strategy. World pvp provides a good framework for this. For example, some guild is raiding a tower you own to get it's relic so you're able to locate them in the world and device a strategy to sneak up behind them to get the element of surprise to defend your tower. In my opinion, open world pvp just provides a more epic and realistic feel to the game play.
    I think we're going to get along great. Even if the 3dbuzz class doesn't make something similar to the games you listed, we should tweak it so it does play out like UO or Darkfall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12