Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    houndi ey , it's quite intresting. I've breifly used it but i never come across games made with it, opposed to more media based stuff (ads, films)

Jennifer is right...MongoDB is free and open source or was when we used it. Before i got into the games industry, we had a large scale project that required a document database. We looked at CouchDb, MongoDB, and RavenDB...At the time, MongoDB seemed to be the most mature product and had better support for LINQ and .NET we also felt it was better in terms of scalability for what we were doing. So if you're concerned about RavenDB cost, MongDB is a great substitute. In fact some of the guys on my team were open source geeks and actually contributed code to the project.

Funny how things come back around...

Quote Originally Posted by jjguzzardo View Post
    So if you're concerned about RavenDB cost, MongDB is a great substitute.
    So if I understand correctly, the difference in license between the two is that RavenDB is fully AGPL which will require you to open source any project that uses it or go with the commercial license while with MongoDB only the database engine is AGPL and the driver to access it is uses an Apache license that allows you to use it in your closed source projects to access a MongoDB database.

Is that correct?

Anyone got any suggestions as to running RavenDB where the comp is an iMac?

Obviously I can run Plesk with Windows to use Visual Studio etc, but I can forsee problems running a server from an emulation, unless someone can point me in right direction that might allow me to connect to it somehow?

Thanks in advance

Anyone have any experience with using Cheetah 3D? Would it be suitable for learning 3D modelling good enough for making buildings, props, equipment etc. ?

XNA Tip #1: Take it easy on the garbage collector, and your performance will thank you.

yes im sure its very capable
    feed me Rep

BTW - Free Mind is a decent mind map software if anyone is doing this sort of work, and it's good for the Chick's (Cheap Cheap)

Anyone have any experience with using Cheetah 3D? Would it be suitable for learning 3D modelling good enough for making buildings, props, equipment etc. ?
    The only thing that is required of your 3D software when making props for use in Unity is that it is capable of exporting to an .FBX format. If it's not then you can check to see if there is a plug-in that is capable of allowing you too. That's pretty much it. I do know that while they will be using Maya for the MMO, they know everyone cannot afford this or get the student version and the option most others go with, which is free is Blender. Jason and Zak said they might even release a few videos to get people started using it, but only if they get the time.
    " Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions " - Albert Einstein
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

My Website: http://www.gamedevlounge.com/

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

Should also be mentioned that NOT every piece of software is required to follow along with the project. The only ones necessary would be
    *Unity 3.1 (standard or pro)
    *Visual Studio 2010 (possibly 2008) or Mono Develop
    *Photon
    *RavenDB (This will only cost money if you plan on selling your product, releasing it commercially)

You should only need access to the other software such as photoshop, Maya, zbrush ect... if you are planning on making your own or contributing content to the MMO.
    I personally don't use resharper, I use visual assist that's just my preference.
    Last edited by Kwest; 02-08-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I made a mistake in the IDE as crispie pointed out and fixed the list to VS or MD
    " Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions " - Albert Einstein
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

My Website: http://www.gamedevlounge.com/

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

Visual Studio isn't necessary, You can get away with using Mono Develop. - Or UniScite for that matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast