noob trying to export 3ds Max to Unity

For anyone that is interested here is what I know about the process. Please add to what I know or correct what I think I know.

Units:
    -Set working units to centimeters
    - goto "Customize" menu -> "Units Setup..." dialog box
    - this is where you set the display units (adjust accordingly, I prefer meters)
    - at the top of the "Units Setup..." dialog box, press the "System Unit Setup" button
    - in the "System Unit Setup" dialog box, change "System Unit Scale" to centimeters

-When exporting to Unity3D
    - in the "FBX export" dialog box
    - under the "advanced options" roll out menu
    - under "scene" make sure "Scene units converted to:" is set to centimeters

Rotation (there has got to be a better way...)
    -Set pivot rotation to align with Unity
    - Select all objects you plan to export and rotate (pivot only) 90 degrees about "x"

-or you can child the imported item to an empty game object and use that game objects coord system

note: rotating the pivot did not seem to add any adverse behavior to simple animation, I am not sure how this will work with rigged models.

I have been having some of the issues you are talking about myself, and tomorrow I am going to be doing some investigating so that these issues can be mitigated for everybody who is using Max before the MMO class gets into full swing. I have been talking to you in the IRC about it all day anyway, but I will post my findings here, but I can't really test animation yet as I don't really know about the ins and outs of setting an animation up for exporting to unity, if anybody does then maybe they can help shed some light on what is going on.

What we need to figure out is what the fbx exporter does when you select the Up Axis : Y. It seems it rotates the model by 270 in the X-Axis, but this is all very confusing and based on incomplete data, so trial and error will have to be the method for working this out.

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

my friend used to use max and never had a problem with default settings and exporting as an FBX :/ what sort of problems are you having?

If I export a FBX to unity using default settings the rotation gets set at 270 in x to align it with world coordinates.

ah right, so if you look at it in the inspector it would be backwards? for me it did it because of how i had my gizmo's set-up (for UDK)