2 Worries about MMO Class- So... 2 questions.

1) I am creating a 2D MMORPG. I'm sure there will be some things covered which won't apply to me. I am wondering if this class is worth it, because of how it will not be a 3D game.

2) Will the class be too slow for me? I am serious about creating the game, so I want to begin quickly, learning rapidly and building a prototype (and then the full game) with every second I can spare.

My fear is that, unless I am wrong, the tutorials will be released only once a month. How much material will this cover? Enough for people who only do this as a side project? Or would it be worth it for me to attend the classes despite my rapid learning process and desire for a quicker development?

3) Are there spots left? This is all pointless if I can't get in this month.

$35 for one tutorial (each month) is actually quite a lot if the tutorials can be completed rather quickly. Yet if the tutorials are lengthy, giving out lots of teaching it's a cheap price.

Thank you,
    Ronny

1) I am creating a 2D MMORPG. I'm sure there will be some things covered which won't apply to me. I am wondering if this class is worth it, because of how it will not be a 3D game.
    -- Will it be a sprite based 2D MMORPG? Or top down view 2D? Which really is a 3D game with fixed camera. Although, even the sprite based games use a lot of the same algorithms to draw and update the screen. You can't lose there.

2) Will the class be too slow for me? I am serious about creating the game, so I want to begin quickly, learning rapidly and building a prototype (and then the full game) with every second I can spare.

My fear is that, unless I am wrong, the tutorials will be released only once a month. How much material will this cover? Enough for people who only do this as a side project? Or would it be worth it for me to attend the classes despite my rapid learning process and desire for a quicker development?
    -- The tutorials will not be released once a month. You are trying to quantize a process that unless it has a set deadline and funding in place is impossible to do. This MMO class is not your traditional VTM style class, it is a looking glass into the production of a game. It is designed to please those who want to be more hands on and those who just want to see how it is done without the interaction.

3) Are there spots left? This is all pointless if I can't get in this month.
    --Try this: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_mmo_signup.php
    I think it will say full if seats are no longer available. (Could be wrong on that one, I'm sure Zak or Buzz will chime in)

(1, it should be worth it, even if you only try it out. You'll learn how to do the networking for your game, if you think about it regardless of it being 2d or 3d the scripts can be similar. stuff like inventory, classes, quests ect would be usable in a 2D game.

(2, ofcourse you could do your own stuff aswell as the classes. After all they won't be going much into the artistic side, let alone 2D so you would have alot of art work to produce in the mean time, also with stuff you learn from the class (i should imagine setting up phroton will be one of the first videos) you can put to practise and expand on what you learn.
    They did say that the amount of videos could vary, im sure they won't leave you short and if they do you can simply cancel your membership and im sure somone on a waiting list would love to take your place.

(3, aprently the sign-up is still open, i read some posts yesterday from people who are signing up now for member sponser, but you'll probally have to hurry, after all the class starts on mon.

$35 isn't much for this kind of knowledge, i've been working on the subject for a while now and nothing will/has been like this, the only thing that is close is probally burgzerg arcade but his is all client sided.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyRulz View Post
    My fear is that, unless I am wrong, the tutorials will be released only once a month.
    More to make it clear to anyone new who's come across this before finding the various info threads, but this is not the case...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Reading so you can decide:

3D Buzz MMO Article

Post your question at:

The last Radio Show before the MMO Class starts: questions?

And of course listen tonight or download it tomorrow.

Only you can decide if its worth it for you. And 35 bucks a month for something that has never been done... PRICELESS!
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

From what I heard in the radio show, I believe that seats will be given to anyone interested as long as you get your MS payment in before the class starts. Zak was saying as long as you have that then he would work with you on it. I realize it says limited seats, but I'm just saying what I heard in tonights radio show.

SpacemouseX Guest
    on the radio show they also made a point to say that the class is free to member sponsors - the $35/mo is for that sponsorship which gives you access to everything else they have here as well - which is alot.