Introduction & Demolitia

Hello, to everyone here at 3D buzz. I recently became a member sponsor, now that I actually have the time. I also recently graduated from Full Sail University with a Bachelors degree in Game Development (really a B.S. in computer science). In this post I wanted to introduce myself to everyone here at 3dbuzz and share with you all me and my teams final project, which was developed during the last 5 months of school before graduating.

Our game is a 3D action adventure (arcade style) game called Demolitia. Just to let you know a little about the requirements of the project we worked on and the process involved, I will share with you a few of the details. First, as mentioned above this was a 5 month long project which consisted of the first month being the creation of a design document (game bible), the second month the creation of a technical design document (basically the code architecture), and the last 3 months pertaining to coding and game development stages (Core, Alpha, Beta, etc...). Some of the requirements of the project were that we were only allowed to use one third party API, which for us was WWise (A sound API). Our game was coded using C++ and DirectX. Everything we did was built from the ground up, no existing game engines were allowed we built our own game engine and tools, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the project which was to show off everything we had learned over the course of our degree.

My role on the team was the Rendering guy, I handled building of a rendering engine and development of shaders, which were written in HLSL. I've included a screen shot below along with a link to where you guys can download the game, then you just have to install it. Our team consisted of 5 programmers, 4 artist and 3 IP's (Internal Producers, these are master students). Check it out and let me know your guys thoughts.

Also, just a bit of advice to those just starting out learning to program and develop a game. If your in the process of learning a development language be it C++, C#, Java, etc..., spend a bit of time studying math as it pertains to game development these topics would be trigonometry, calculus & Linear Algebra. Linear Algebra is the most important in Aspects to game development along with physics. Just think of math as being a tool you will add to your game development toolbox as I like to call it. Without math game development would be pretty tough, just like it would be tough to build a car without the right tools. Which is why I'm glad it looks like 3dbuzz is going to offer some math VTM's to their arsenal of videos. Zak and Buzz just wanted to say great job with keeping the site up and going I'm really excited about the Unity videos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demolitia_Screen.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	672.7 KB 
ID:	71253

Here is the link to the game:
    http://gameproject.fullsail.com/gpga.../11/demolitia/
    " Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions " - Albert Einstein
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

My Website: http://www.gamedevlounge.com/

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

welcome to 3D Buzz. The screen shot looks really nice.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Thank You, Archania.
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

Kwest... for Full Sail. I take it you went to the campus? How is that school? I was researching schools awhile back to get a degree in Game Art & Animation but doing online. Just wanted your take on the program and school.

Hi, Archania I enjoyed it very much, I will say that the schedule for campus was pretty rough I usually spent about 12+ hours a day there working on projects non-stop and it was pretty fast paced. The good thing was since you were spending a lot of time from the very start working on projects, it sort of accelerated the learning curve since almost everything is hands on including test and quizzes and the like. There is a lot I could say about the school, but I don't want to take up the whole page. I can't speak for the game art degree in terms of content and how it is, since I was there for game design and development (coding side of things) but I did work in final project as I mentioned above with students from the game art degree and they were pretty talented a lot of whom had no prior experience so I would say it is very good as well, plus the fact that the artist during this project get to spend 5 months learning how to deal with programmers and vice versa as communication is key in any project. That's actually why I am here at 3d buzz is to actually get used to understanding and working with the art side of things modeling and such, now that I am finished school plus it's just one more thing I can put on my resume when I'm done. Plus I'm tired of my personal projects having programmer art made by me. Sorry I got side tracked but yea all in all it was good but it was also tough which is actually a good thing, another school I know of that is good is DigiPen. I'm not biased towards one or the other, the big difference is in the amount of time the degree takes, one is accelerated and the other is not. Whatever you decide to do if you do choose a school, choose a top 5 school as far as game development or art schools is concerned, as one with a good reputation makes it easier when employers are looking to hire and want to know where you went to school, same goes if you choose a university look for ones that are good in the respected field you choose.

Welcome to 3d Buzz!

Very cool game! One man demolition crew! love the throwing of the sledgehammer. Distruction everywhere. Nicely done score screen. Going to be very nice to see your thoughts and comments and work on the MMO when we get going!
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

I was going to online school at UAT but can't for now (bill is way to high! but then again i wasn't working so couldn't pay). And I did some research for Full Sail. I think I should have chosen that one first but the idea of using a Mac ahhh.. lol
    I want to finish, I was 2 classes away from an associates degree. Hopefully I can go back soon and finish.
    But thanks for the inside look. Ahh college.. i do remember those days.. wait.. well some of them at least.. lol