*crawls from under his iPad* Heya!

Right, I have been MIA for some time now, to focus more on my studies, which are going well-ish.

Now I am at a point where criticism is needed, I am drawing and making models which personally I hate and think are ugly as sin, however I was told by others that they liked em, this got me thinking.

I wanted a place where I could post my work and get positive feedback (unlike my friends at school simply say, "I'm not feeling it" and dont explain why not) from people that have half a brain (or even a full one..).

Then I remembered where it all started, the days of innocence and bliss, long gone now. However I thought this might be a good place to ask for criticism.

So, up first to be poked and prodded at, the wall assignment I had for my Real-time Texturing class.

The class was showing us how to work within the pipeline and help us know what textures to use as our samples and which not. It also showed us about Normal maps, and how to normalize them. Good stuff.

So hopefully if this is a success, I shall want to post more WIP's and other projects for "review" heh.

Let the bashings begin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InAppRender.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	71252  
    Today, I become, a Beast Machine! Rawr!

This is looking good. What I think could help this image abit is to loose some more of the shine out of your bricks, they need to be more matte. They just seem to be a bit to shiny.
    The other part that could use some enhancing is the transition between the brick and the cement. It should stand out more, this could be caused by your lighting, it just seems to flat. What I mean by that is, I don't really see much dimension in the cement, it doesn't have any thickness to it. This could be caused by the lighting.

Hope that helps, I look forward to seeing more!

Good to see you back!
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Well, first I would like to know what you are going for with this image. What would you use it for? What are the steps you took to make it?

It looks to me like you took a photograph of a wall in a place dark enough for you to need to use the cameras flash. So if you were going to use this in, say, a game, it would look a bit odd if every texture had a flash spot on it. One would wonder where that light was coming from. So, in that case you would need to get rid of the over exposed bright spot. You might have better luck taking pictures that are outside and in the day time. I would think not when the sun was too bright though. You could also take pictures inside by using other lights to evenly light the wall, and turn off the cameras flash.

I would just really like to see the image with a more even light. I think it would be best if the light, or lights, were coming from above the image, and to one side for consistent looking shadows from the bricks and indentations of the cement. But don't put the lights too close or defuse them somehow, or they will just end up looking overexposed just like the camera flash. I am not a fan of overexposed light spots unless you are say, in a game with a flash light that is shinning on the wall. The flash spot also interrupts the consistent flow of the shadows. It makes some of the bricks shadows going up while others go down.

As far as the cement goes, I am not sure that it isn't thin enough not to have the dimension that Kuanbyr is looking for. It seems like it is almost paint thin there. That may just be the way it was. That being said It might still be cool to kind of fudge it into looking thicker where it meets the wall and putting either a highlight there, or a shadow.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I needed it heh.

The wall is simply for the purpose to teach how to take "almost" any texture, make it repeatable, and add normal maps (or bump maps) to it and ensure that the normal map seems "to pop out" rather then just flat, I have taken small steps to applying what was said here, turned off the specuality and even adding an overlay to the stucko. I'll post a pic when Autodesk lets me log in and install max. *grumble*
    Today, I become, a Beast Machine! Rawr!

Heh, look forward to seeing the updated images! You did get dimension working on the wall, it worked, wasn't flat.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.