Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    As long as it's you that's taken the photo, post away!
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Quote Originally Posted by NinaCovington
    Hahahahaha! Yes!!!!! You are awesome, Clone!!!!

Okay, to balance this contest for our southern-hemisphere-dwelling friends, we need to later offer a "summer" themed contest. Let's schedule that one for July.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marscaleb View Post
    Okay, to balance this contest for our southern-hemisphere-dwelling friends, we need to later offer a "summer" themed contest. Let's schedule that one for July.

raaaaaaaaaage

Come on people!

Here's my entry. Had to dig in my library to find it, as it seems we have the same amount of snow the people in Australia have

Shot at 18mm, 25 sec exposure with aperture f/3,5 ISO200. Camera was a Canon EOS 1000D, and I used a tripod. Time taken around 0115.
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Oh man, I totally missed this.

Must get to work before the snow melts!

Wow, we have a lot of folks on this site who live in Australia! I thought we we have a lot of folks who don't live in snowy areas, but I was thinking more like Texas or California or Hawaii...
    And personally, if I were living back home this winter I would just take a picture of a brilliant green hillside (or a nice puddle of water) and simply state "This is winter here."

Anyway, unless we get a really good snowstorm before the contest ends, I'm going to submit one of these as my entries:

If our judges rule that the first pic is not outside of the theme, then it is my submission. Otherwise, the second. It didn't come out like I had hoped though, the image is all... bleachy. How do I counteract that?
    Last edited by Marscaleb; 01-23-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Gamma correction
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

Well, the theme is Winter Wonderland, described as " what winter is to you!", so if a fireplace is winter to you, then go ahead. Unless Kuanbyr says differently.

If you have photoshop, there are a few things you can do. Increase the saturation is one thing, add a curves layer, change the white balance or re-shoot the image
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

I was thinking more along the lines of "how do I take the picture so that it looks better" rather than how I edit it.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

Marscaleb, regarding your second image and the "washed out" appearance...

The problem is the scene you were taking a photo of had a very large dynamic range. What this means is there is a huge difference between the bright parts and dark parts. In this case, the snow and sky was way, way brighter than the trees in the foreground.

Cameras only have a limited range of intensities that they can capture in a single image. Some cameras are better than others. For example, my phone has a much lower range than my DSLR, even though both end up producing a 24bit JPEG. In your picture, your camera has calculated the exposure so that the trees in the foreground look right, at the expense of the background - the sky and snow is completely blown out to pure white.

For this kind of scene, the best approach is to work within the limits of your camera. If you camera has a manual mode, get it to expose for the background. On auto, you can often get this to work by pointing the camera at the background, half pressing the shutter button, then recomposing the image and then taking the photo. The result is that the trees in front will become a dark silhouette, which will probably look nicer than the blown out sky. Another approach is to again set your camera so the background looks right, and then use the flash to illuminate the foreground. This is what "landscape portrait" modes do on cameras; they expose for the background, then use the flash to brighten up people in the foreground.

Finally, you could take two photos, one for the sky and one for the trees, and blend them in Photoshop. Or you could try to make an HDR image, which squeezes more dynamic range into the photo than your camera can capture in a single image. However, neither of these techniques are allowed in the Photography Contests, because we want to see people pushing their photography, and not Photoshop skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone3d View Post
    Well, the theme is Winter Wonderland, described as " what winter is to you!", so if a fireplace is winter to you, then go ahead. Unless Kuanbyr says differently.
    I don't say differently, yes a lot of the time sitting around a fire in the middle of winter is a great thing. We do it a lot and it was going to be an image I was doing, so now I am not. I have lots to shoot, and ideas are flowing even the snow is flowing here. No fresh just melting like mad! Just when I want new fresh snow, it all melts away!!
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast