Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dev-C++

Standard C++ is standard C++, if you write your code with that in mind, it will compile regardless of Compiler/IDE, and if a standard C++ code doesn't then its either A) not standard C++ or B) you need a better compiler, both Microsoft C++ Compiler and GCC both support standard C++. Its more when you get into .NET with Microsoft that its no longer standard. And if you are not going to use a different OS than Windows then there really is no better compiler, the features of Visual Studio are incredible.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Visual Studio +1... And what NotSoSuper said, too..

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Then the VTM used none standard C++ and they didn't realize it because they are used to it and it worked in Visual Studio. But the same code doesn't compile in Code::Blocks. ComicSansMS said that Visual Studio uses a "Non Standard Extension" by default, which prevents the compiler error I encountered. I think that getting used to stuff like that is bad.

Well, you can just go in and turn the extensions off.

I havent used CodeBlocks in a while, but back then Visual Studio was far superior, and I assume still is. I think you'd be unwise to not take advantage of the benefits it provides. Specifically the debugger. I seem to remember them being in completly different leagues.
    Last edited by wforl; 01-13-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    [quote][\quote]

if you want to write portable code, you will have to know more than one compiler anyway.

i can only recommend testing larger code projects on multiple compilers before deploying. it keeps your code healthy and after a while, you will avoid the typical pitfalls automatically.

btw. gcc has quite a few of those pitfalls just as visual studio. they are not as obvious as the non-const references to rvalues that kashrlyyk mentioned, but they are there. know your compilers as well as your standard, as they are likely to disagree on many terms

@NotSoSuper - thanks for the clearing that up - although I was pointing those out that if he was using Dev C++ that those things could be what's causing the problem. Because compilers are different and all. But thanks, again, for the clearing that part up. Though I feel like I may have started a debate >.> <.< Which was not my intent, of course.

Well, believe it or not, before I was exposed to Visual C++, I was a big Borland fan, and if you go back to the days that I do, you know that they were awesome. They were one of only few C++ compilers that had its own proprietary graphics library system, which I felt was awesome for those days. Now that Borland is no more (now it's Embarcadero, and they are nowhere near as fun), I miss that flair. Seems like Microsoft's won the war against Borland in this one, I'm afraid, as much as I liked Turbo C++ and BC++ 4.5.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

^ although off-topic Embarcadero seems to be focusing a lot right now on quality of their products. So I'd say that's at least pretty good since I'd rather have a quality product rather then one where something may have been broken before but was completely ignored, or something. As an example, of course. Granted I probably hold some form of biased because I'm a Delphi person, and not really a C++ person.

Back on-topic - I wonder how the OP's learning experience is going, now that he's changed compilers.

I see no debate, we're all just clarifying things for people.
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12