Hey Artists! Hinge Digital Character Design Contest - Prizes from Luxology and Wacom

Hinge Digital has officially announced its "Bringing Your World to Life" Contest. Sponsored by: Animation Magazine, Luxology® and Wacom® Technology Corporation.

Artists, designers and writers of any background are encouraged to submit their original character designs (line drawings, 2D, 3D, etc.) and corresponding storylines for an opportunity to win approximately $1,500 in prizes including: a copy of Luxology® modo® 3D software, a Wacom® Intuos4® tablet and inclusion in an Animation Magazine feature story. Hinge Digital may additionally consider the winning concept submission for future adaptation into an original animated series pilot or short film.

For further details, rules and submission guidelines, please visit www.hingedigital.com/contest

Deadline to enter: Dec. 31, 2010
    U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older only. Limit three entries per person.

We look forward to seeing your work!

Haha, the irony of Luxology sponsoring a character design competition The reason I'm here learning Maya instead of somewhere else learning modo is because of their failure to implement character animation in modo for two whole versions when it was the most requested feature. I guess the winner won't be doing any actual animation of their designs with the prize.

Personally I like Modo, I've only been modeling in it at this point, haven't done any animation, guess I should give that a shot to see what the problem is that you are talking about.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

I liked modo for modeling, but it's not a 'complete' package and for reasons best known to themselves they've not implemented "character animation" in that there's no bone deformers. As far as I can tell that it literally the only thing missing. They have keyframe animation, they have IK, they have a constraints system. They even have weight map painting. It was curious that 401 didn't have bone deformers, but that 501 won't either is an unfathomable decision.

I'm not to surprised that it didn't make it into 501 with the direction of changes that they worked on. I am guessing you are a registered modo user. Have you checked out the forum to watch the new things in 501? As Brad mentions, they work mostly on one part at a time so they get it right. Well, I am loving what they've done with 501. It is modeling oriented, sculpting has been reworked to the nines. It really reminds me of Mudbox for the way that you sculpt, I can't wait to play with this. So, maybe in 601 they will take a trip back to the animation end of things. But for now, I am lucky since I am only needing the modeling end of things.

And with this contest it looks like it is design oriented for the character so it's just creating the model or image anyway. Which Modo will do well. And we can watch for more animation abilities in the future.

Yeh, I've seen the videos. I've got no complaints about the things they did work on. I'm just wondering what the big deal is with character animation. Nobody is expecting them to make something as powerful as Soft or Maya in the first version (at least I don't think they are), but as I was saying, they are 95% of the way there with all the stuff they have now. It's like they are saying F you to all the people who want to use it as their only program. Unless you're doing archviz or product shots, which is what 90% of people on the forums seem to be using it for. That's ok if Luxology want to get stuck that niche that's up to them I guess.

Looks like we get Modo 501 this month, then will be the time to start bugging them about getting the animation up to snuff in 601 which they will start work on in the new year. I'll start asking in the forums there and see what the response is. Nice thing is, I know an individual can talk to these guys directly, I have phoned them. Not many companies will talk to you directly like they do. So my bet is, we will see what you are after in the new version. I will be pushing for that by then as well since this is my only program. I have XSI but it's old.