Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

two questions about C#

Im converting some C++ code to c# and I need two things. I need vector equvilant container and I need to know to 'pass by reference' since '&' dosent work. Also is there already 2D dynamic array available or is that something Ill have to write myself? Thanks.

Pick up a book on C# ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/libr...=VS.80%29.aspx

Spoon feeding you this kinda of info isnt going to help. You need to learn what references are in C#
    Last edited by wforl; 12-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    [quote][\quote]

I believe there may be C# tuition available on 3dbuzz, possibly...

Come on now, doddy

Seriously; the Hyperion project from XNA 101 is free-to-all, and, given that you know C++, you're bound to be able to infer what you need just from that, I'd imagine.

Cheers, G.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Well, sure, the syntax is almost identical between the two languages, if you know how to define classes, objects, and know how to do code blocking, C# should almost be second nature to you.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

But his question is about a concept that is completely different between the languages. Similar syntax does not mean that the concepts are the same.

For example, in C#, EVERY object is passed by reference. In C++, they are copied, unless passed by pointer or by reference.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by owensd View Post
    But his question is about a concept that is completely different between the languages. Similar syntax does not mean that the concepts are the same.

For example, in C#, EVERY object is passed by reference. In C++, they are copied, unless passed by pointer or by reference.
    Exactly. I was going to post a similar thing, because initially similar syntax will allow you to get into the language. However, you end up writing C# code a lot differently then C++ code, mainly due to C#'s functional aspects (implicit typing, lambdas, deferred execution, ect - though C++0x does include lambda support), C# being garbage collected (instead of worrying about _how_ you manage garbage collection, you must now understand the rules in which a resource will be collected) and the fact that due to the CLR's understanding of what would be compiler-time constructs in C++ (generics, types, ect).

For example, in C#, EVERY object is passed by reference
    Thats not true
    [quote][\quote]

Quote Originally Posted by wforl View Post
    Thats not true
    /me boxes wforl

Well, I guess the simplest way to prove the difference would be an object-oriented "Hello, World" app, since OOP between C++ and C# can be a bit different, here's a couple of examples:

If you are already familiar with C++, you already know that to make a Hello World app in OOP, you would do this, right?

Code:
    // This is an example of an object-oriented program featuring "Hello, World" in C++

#include <iostream>  // Required for cin and cout as well as for user interaction
    #include <stdlib.h>  // Required to clear the screen in this program

using namespace std;  // Hold a namespace that adds std:: to every line so it's not necessary to type this every line

// Declare function for HelloWorld()

void HelloWorld();

// Start main function

void main()
    {
    	int quit;

system("CLS");  // Clear the screen
    	HelloWorld();

// Jump back to this after displaying the message
    	cout << "Press <0> + <ENTER> to return to Windows:  ";
    	cin >> quit;
    }

// Move to this function to print out Hello World.
    void HelloWorld()
    {
    	cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
    	cout << "How's it going?" << endl;
    }
    Now, here is that same exact program in C#, notice the difference in the format of this language:

Code:
    using System;

namespace HelloWorldCS
    {

class HelloWorld
        {
            public static void Hello()
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!");
                Console.WriteLine("How's it going?");  
                GoodBye.Bye();
            }
        }

class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Console.Clear();
                HelloWorld.Hello();
            }
        }

class GoodBye
        {
            public static void Bye()
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Press <ENTER> to Quit to Windows:  ");
                var consoleKeyInfo = Console.ReadLine();
            }

}
    }
    See the difference between the two Hello, World apps? So you can see where the difference lies in all this. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

Hm... Wedgie, to be fair i don't see any OOP programming in your example. What you showed here is on the basic C level not C++.
    Since C++ is called "C with Classes" you should atleast use some classes here if you wan't compare those two languages.

My two cents .

Code:
    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

namespace HelloWorldCPluSPlus
    {
          class GoodBye
          {
          public:
                static void Bye()
                {
                      cout << "Bye" << endl;
                      system("pause");
                }
          };

class HelloWorld
          {
          public:
                static void Hello()
                {
                      cout << "Hello, World!" << endl;
                      cout << "How's it going ?" << endl;
                      GoodBye::Bye();
                }
          };
    }

int main()
    {
          system("CLS");
          HelloWorldCPluSPlus::HelloWorld::Hello();

return 0;
    }
    Now difference doesn't look so big.
    Last edited by swann; 12-03-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast