Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Why do you need it? You have all the data in memory already, in the form of chunks. If a chunk is not null, then its a "tampered chunk" that then has a chunk listing data object which tells you which cubes inside it are visible or not (aswell as their shading requirements). Thats all you need. Have the chunks stored in an octree for raycast intersection, and then raycast each cube within a chunk if the chunk itself is intersected. As its all axis aligned, it just boils down to ray/AABB tests. And similar for the character controller.

I gather this would all need to be coded manually, but just another idea. It may even be slower. But I think it would allow you to make bigger worlds.

This is all in my head by the way. Havent test it.
    [quote][\quote]

Okay I think I finally see where we are thinking about two different things. When I say ray casting I'm specifically referring to Unity's API call Physics.RayCast() and when I'm talking about the character controller again referring to Unity's built in GameComponet CharacterController. Both of these require that you are using a mesh that is instantiated from an object of type Mesh which is also built into Unity and is attache to a MeshCollider that itself is attached to a GameObject. I'm not proposing on writing my own functionality to do these same things via scripting when I could be using the built in power of the engine itself which has been optimized far better than anything that could possibly be harnessed from a script.

But now I think I see where you are coming from and yes if I was developing the underlying game engine itself for this project and not building this in Unity then your way would be the way that I would tackle it.

this is absolutely brilliant! can't wait!

The latest stress test screenshot has 20,070,400 blocks. Couldn't even go to one edge and take the shot looking over the entire world because almost of a third of it was obscured by fog. Think my fog setting is at 0.004 this place is big. Unfortunately until the scrolling world code gets put in it takes about 20 minutes before a world of this size becomes playable. Though that is next on the list to get added.

That is pretty darn impressive numbers! Do you know how this compares to Minecraft when it comes to world size? Are you still getting good framerate at that size, besides the insanely long loading time?

-Dane

Look at upper left hand corner it's a little hard to see but 64fps at 1920x1080 then again my machine is a bit more powerful that the typical gaming rig. As when compared to Minecraft I'm not positive but based on what I've read at it's max is 2048 x 2048 x 128 but don't quote me on that, you never can be sure of the validity of internet sources. My goal is to make this world at least that big. By my calculations that will make a world with 536,870,912 blocks. Obviously not all loaded in the game at one time but how many at a go? That will depend on how many features get added as we go along and the power of the host machine the game is played on. Plans are to have the displayed world size to automatically throttle to maintain frame rate. There are so many plans. Lots of stuff in the works for this that I just can't talk about yet. You'll just have to wait and see.

*Correction

According to the wiki MineCraft can scale to roughly 8 times the surface of the Earth before running into technical issues. Looks like I'll have to make the world larger than 2048x2048x128.
    Last edited by chronos78; 12-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Hey chronos78 I find this fascinating and I guess I should have popped in here to tell you that too. Although I have no programming skills and have yet to delve in Unity something did occur to me.

Could not apply a script of sorts to the block you create. This script could check if the player can see it and if not then hide the block. My thoughts are if the block is hidden then it would not be rendered and therefore speed up your scene. I know how good you are at programming and you are probably doing this already but I just thought I would ask.

So what do think? good bad idea?
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

It's a good idea with a limited number of checks. Similar to how we handle camera occlusion / collision in the 3rd Person Character System. But when you scale that up to the numbers of blocks we are talking about (millions to tens of millions) this is no longer a valid way of checking. Even if you throttled it down to just the surrounding blocks each would than be either a MonoBehavior with it's own update or some sort of manager that handles the checks for the blocks. Both systems kill performance before you even approach 5k blocks let alone millions.

FYI - That was one of the first things I tried when fleshing out the prototype.

Thank you for the quick response and for your understanding being a newb question and all. I never thought about the overhead for all those blocks. I guess that's why your doing this project and not me .
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

No problem asking. After all the only difference between a newb and an uber elite is how many hours of trial and error they've gone through.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast