Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photography 101

thanks Clone3d this is really cool I have never really played with any settings on my camera and now I am and seeing all the cool stuff I can do with it
    I found the manual online for the camera and now I don't even have that camera this week luckily I found the downgraded crappier camera which can do what you have shown
    at this point I don't have any request as I need to play with what you have shown
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

I am trying to get a shot where I want it to focus on something that is right up front and have the background blurred out which is my christmas tree with lights lit on it in a darker room. I set the aperture to its max and tried a few shots with and with out the flash. With the flash it seemed to make it clearer which I didn't want, without the flash it did better but not blurry enough for what I want.

what I want to know is if there is a way to make the background blurrier even though the aperture is already maxed out. I didn't play with any other settings yet
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

Thanks again Clone3d!
    Can't wait for more to come

Just a nitpick Clone: Your large/small aperture examples are mixed up. The large aperture has the smaller depth of field, and vice-versa.

I think you need to say that technically, the F stop is the ratio between focal length and size of the iris opening. That helps explain why a smaller F number results in a larger aperture. For example, F1.8 is technically the ratio 1:1.8, which is a large opening, or aperture.

Cool thread! Missed it in the past and can definitely learn from some of this. I have a canon powershot which isnt anything special but I had heard it was a good point and shoot. Brother had a canon 20D(believe that's what it's called) and it has been collecting dust lately. Maybe he will let me tinker with it so i can try some of this stuff out. Got a saltwater fish tank and been trying to practice on it but the fish are very challenging to shoot.

-Dane

Yeah, I did not catch that when I checked it. Not sure how technical I wanna get with it though. But I'll throw that in there just in case.
    Last edited by Clone3d; 12-09-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Quote Originally Posted by NinaCovington
    Hahahahaha! Yes!!!!! You are awesome, Clone!!!!

One thing to add, when shooting with on camera flash or off camera flashes.. Shutter speed controls ambient light such as available light from sun, and Aperture somewhat controls flash.. Very basic thing to remember but has made me really in tune with strobist photography.
    Addicted to Buzz tutorials!
    LL

Hey Clone3d,

Perhaps you could go over basic techniques such as: Rule of Thirds, Framing, Foreground/Background, Depth of Field, Etc. Going over the "Basics of Photography" to help beginners advance their skill in taking photos using skills that many professional photographers use as well. As simple as the rules are, they are worth writing about (even if most of the people reading this thread are past that, I'm sure there will be at least a few who would find it worthwhile)!

Great post by the way!
    - Rik

Yeah, I've been thinking about making a topic on composition, but haven't gotten around to it. Plus, if I can explain it to someone, it means I understand it, which is always a good thing!
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Quote Originally Posted by NinaCovington
    Hahahahaha! Yes!!!!! You are awesome, Clone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hrjansen View Post
    Hey Clone3d,

Perhaps you could go over basic techniques such as: Rule of Thirds, Framing, Foreground/Background, Depth of Field, Etc. Going over the "Basics of Photography" to help beginners advance their skill in taking photos using skills that many professional photographers use as well. As simple as the rules are, they are worth writing about (even if most of the people reading this thread are past that, I'm sure there will be at least a few who would find it worthwhile)!

Great post by the way!
    That's a great idea, I think. I would also add something about time exposures, the sunny 16 rule, and maybe different lenses. The proper use of flashes would be very useful as well...people seem to think that the only way you can take a good photo is with natural light because they don't know how to use a flash correctly. Man, there is a lot you could do with this, ha ha. Awesome job by the way. I can't believe I've never seen this thread and it's been floating around for well over a year!
    -Mr. 3d

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast