How to create a procedural (Houdini style) application?

Hi all 3DBuzz programmers

I am about to start a new development project where I am going to create an application for advanced analysis of reinforced concrete structures. I have always been fascinated by the power and flexibility of procedural software like Houdini and partly Maya and I would like to implement similar a similar design into my application.

I have a fair amount of experience using C#, but I would like to hear if anyone could point me to any books, tutorials or other references which describes implementation details or design patterns of such procedural applications. Google searching “procedural software development” and similar primarily returns references to procedural coding (as opposed to OOP).

Thanks
    Kasper

For figuring how to manage data etc., Houdini HDK documentation is a good start http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk11.0/. But it's in C++ so you have to make yourself familiar with it first to understand what the hell is going on there and how they solved everything.
    As for node based interface, 3D Buzz "XNA Pathfinding with *A" tutorial shows how to create node based editor. It's more than a good start to develop your own node based GUI.
    Last edited by swann; 11-25-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Plus; the infamous KR7 from XNA101 (the DAC) might be worth looking at as, in the provided solution, Buzz & Logan go into a fair bit of detail about the design considerations of a node-based app.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Thanks very much both of you for the great suggestions.

I wasn’t aware that the “XNA Pathfinding with *A” series contained info on how to develop a node based system and I will definitely take a look at that for inspiration. I previously studied the Maya data architecture (both from the 3D Buzz videos and the “Complete Maya Programming” book) and I will for sure take a look at the Houdini API to see how they manage data.

A couple of years back, I tried to create a simple node system based on the node design given in XNA 101 Vol II and my interpretation of Mayas push-pull technique. Since this was just a test and I never actually used it for anything reel, I thought I should make a more thorough investigation into design patterns before starting the development.
    I have also briefly looked at “Flow-Based Programming” (just what is on Wikipedia) which might also be a good approach.