Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_charisma View Post
    I feel that a pre-emptive moral panic is unnecessary here. We can deal with it if it ever becomes a problem, or let the forum rules deal with it for us.
    I don't really see myself as raising panic here; I hope I have not misrepresented my intentions. I'm just a little apprehensive about it. After all, sex sells, so when people plan out how to sell a product, that one pops up as an easy way to sell the product. It's rule number one for marketing.

As we are all aware, this isn't any some large and official contest, so it's not like we have to get a lawyer to write up the rules and then having some strict judges act according to them. We don't need to lay out strict guidelines of what is considered inappropriate. I was just thinking to throw an official line out there saying "No using sex appeal to sell your product." If you want to be more specific, then just add "you can use attractive live models, just don't obviously go for sex appeal." Hell, you could just say "please don't" and it would be just as effective.
    Do we anticipate a large problem with that? No. But just throwing out the restriction would diffuse any potential problem. I don't think that such a simple restriction is going to honestly limit the creativity nor skill that people can use for this contest.

The whole point of these contests is to get people taking photos and to learn. I just think we should place as few restrictions as possible, and deal with any consequences if they arise.
    I like this point, and I agree with you 95%. Placing fewer restrictions encourages more creativity, experimentation, and altogether better results.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

OMG Marscaleb this is for fun only no prize no nothing quit complaining about something that really is irrelevant if you don't like it don't do it. If somebody takes a picture of sex in a can then so be it as long as it doesn't break forum rules. If you have that much disfaith in this contest then ignore it and move on. this is for FUN as well as to learn
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

I trust the people here to follow the forum rules and the rules I have laid down for this contest. And if there is a problem, we will deal with it then. But as long as people follow the rules they have agreed to, and use common sense, I see no problem.
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Quote Originally Posted by NinaCovington
    Hahahahaha! Yes!!!!! You are awesome, Clone!!!!

Anyway, until someone arouses me with their contest entry, I have nothing further to say on this matter
    Ah; a challenge...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

http://inspirationfeed.com/2010/07/2...ist-print-ads/
    http://naldzgraphics.net/inspiration...und-the-globe/
    http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009...nny-print-ads/

Where's all that sex I keep hearing about?

Seriously, you don't even need to use sex to sell a wonderbra. Humour works so much better:

This is going to very likely be more challenging than some of you might realize. I'm assuming you don't want images to look like "stock photography," which many ad agencies keep in the hundreds of terabytes so that they can quickly put together an add showing someone smiling warmly at the camera. For custom shots, designers will generally spend a good while coming up with what they want to see, and then organize a shot with the photographer to get what they're looking for.

On the topic of sex in selling: It works. If you have a hot friend and you think you can use him/her in a way to sell your product that won't look like that's all you had, then do it, if you like! To suggest that someone who does otherwise is taking the more 'challenging path' is ridiculous. It's trickier than you think to get an image of a beautiful person and let it be more about the product. Heck, as soon as you have to bring ANYONE into your shots as a subject, you've got a lot more work cut out for you! Lighting alone can be a nightmare.

My 2-pence, for what it's worth, is that captions on the images would be nice. Take Mr. C's classic Wonderbra ad. Seeing the Wonderbra logo up there in the corner is what REALLY clinches that image and drives home why it's so funny. It helps the audience "get" what they see and keeps them from guessing. But there's more to it than that. Note the direction the kid's eyes are looking. Note the use of color in the opposite (lower left) corner to help highlight the logo. The entire composition of the image is helping draw your attention to that name. It's a beautiful way to go from a funny and curious image to (BOOM!) Wonderbra, giving the viewer an "A-ha!" moment and committing the product to memory, which is, in the end, the key to any good ad.

All that said, I understand about the rule to leave them out, as it delineates that very fine line between photography and graphic design with this particular project.
    Last edited by Zak; 11-29-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Agreed Zak. Regarding the captions, you are right; the more you add to the image the more it becomes a graphic design contest. This is the man reason I suggested people put their caption/punch line as text below the image.

well this is being tougher than I thought it would be, looks like I may have to rearrange the living room a little when everybody is gone to get a better working backdrop
    I thought getting something small for a focus but have a nice background like my Christmas tree would be easy, nope
    at least I still have 2 weeks

haha, I had the same problem.

just thought I would give this a bump since nobody has posted any pics but showed lots of interest
    I plan on doing mine sometime next week when the house is a little more empty so I can rearrange a little
    a little less than two weeks left

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast