Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

New Simple Game & 3D Platformer - question

Hi guys.
    which set of videos will be made available first?
    Asking because I want to make both sets part of my Unity/c# learning process and based on which one will be out first I will plan my other learning tasks accordingly

cheers

Well I think they will be releasing the plat former first since they haven't been talking too much about the simple game lately. They have released several sneak peaks of the plat former series as well on jason's Facebook page which is another reason i would suspect the plat former first. Hope that helps some but l am not one hundred percent sure about that .

-Dane

Honestly, I'm hoping for the redone Simple Game. I'd like to see what type of object oriented centric solution they create. Watching most people work with unity makes me feel like I'm back in the days of scripting instead of OO programming.
    "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having
    sense enough to be lazy." - Edgar Bergen

I can agree with that statement. I am also excited to see the simple game just to see what type of improvements are roughy to it but i think the plat former will probably bring a lot more useful material, atleast for me. It is a little more complex looking and will probably even be more OO than the simple game. Either way I am excited about all of the unity content as i am sure it will be very informative.

-Dane

Quote Originally Posted by dragagon View Post
    Honestly, I'm hoping for the redone Simple Game. I'd like to see what type of object oriented centric solution they create. Watching most people work with unity makes me feel like I'm back in the days of scripting instead of OO programming.
    As an aside, the XNA 101 series lays heavy emphasis on good OO practice in C#...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

I completely agree. Everything here is great and I expect these new videos to be worthwhile.
    "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having
    sense enough to be lazy." - Edgar Bergen

Yes they will both be super useful I am sure.
    Personally I am also hoping for the new Simple Game first; that is purely because 'in my specific case' I am trying to get a good grasp of c#, effective coding, OOP in relation to making games while using Unity to visualise what I code which in turns teaches me a good number of things on Unity. So I see the 3D Platformer as a good next step after the Simple Game (c# focused) material.

Other reason is that as I am trying to learn c# now I hope to have a decent understanding of it before tackling the 3D Platformer which will in in Unity JavaScript; I intend to convert the JavaScript in the 3D Platformer to c#, so I need a decent knowledge of c# first . Again this is purely my personal choice, I am learning c# and I don't want to get distracted/confused by using Javascript as well. I know the 3D Platformer focuses on other topics, not on coding so it is ok for it to be based on javascript... but I still will want to translate it.

I have 3D Buzz XNA Xtreme 101, bought long time ago when I was thinking to get into XNA, them I moved house/job location (twice!) so I got totally sidetracked and I completely forgot about it! I found the DVD last week when I was looking for something else! DOh! Problem is that I use a MAC now and as I am learning Unity/Monodevelop again I need to focus on that, don't fancy trying to learn XNA when I am not using right now... later yes but not now.

Still, maybe I could watch the 101 videos and implement them in monodevelop but I wonder if that adds complication to the process because the 101 DVD talks about WinForms and XNA and .NET framework so maybe too much to filter through probably

I am 99% sure that the 3D adventure game is coming first. The reason I believe this (besides the fact that all the content the have so far release on facebook references the adventure game) is because I have heard a few times that they wanted to build a project that was between the simple game and the advance version of the simple game and that this 3D adventure game is that bridge between the two.
    Ryan Zec

My Blog: http://www.underthecode.com

Quote Originally Posted by HokutoTC View Post
    Other reason is that as I am trying to learn c# now I hope to have a decent understanding of it before tackling the 3D Platformer which will in in Unity JavaScript
    ...uum, really? I was under the impression that these courses are going to be Unity & C# from start to finish - no javascript in sight??? At least, I hope that's the case...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Yes, I believe that the entire 3D adventure game is going to be done in C#, not Unity's implementation of javascript.
    Ryan Zec

My Blog: http://www.underthecode.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast