Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I would have to concur with the above two post. I have never heard them mention Java and I went back through their post to see if I could find any reference to Javascripting but I did not see any. I believe Buzz and the gang try to stick with C# when dealing with Unity.

-Dane

This is the only mention of Javascript is here:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...-list-proposal

the 3D Platformer has never been mentioned as being in Unity Javascript
    A wise man once said to me, "life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid" - Duthos

I'm not a fan of Javascript and very much prefer coding in C#. So that's what your getting. The entire Character System and the 3rd Person Platform game were coded entirely in C#. Now the bridge part of it is that while we still use MonoBehavours extensively in the scripts we do not expose everything as public and drag a bunch of stuff into the inspector window of the editor to hook stuff up. Pretty much everything is instantiated or reference via code. This is where the advance simple game will take it to the next level where we will be getting away from using MonoBehavours other than to trigger our own classes to do things at the appropriate times.

There might be a dab of JS at the end of the Mastering Unity: The Fundamentals set. But it'll only be a tiny bit thrown in at the end to turn our simple little level into something like a game. And before all is said and done, it's entirely possible that it gets exchanged for C# instead. We're still wrapping those final lessons.

And in case anyone is still curious, the release schedule is going to be to get the 3rd Person Character System and 3D Platformer sets out first, then get Mastering Unity: The Fundamentals done, then release the revisited simple game. From what I've seen of the coding on the new simple game, the progression actually makes sense.

Any idea when these new Unity videos will be released to the general public?
    Houdini Student

Soon. Very soon.

thx Zak for the update

yippie, 2000 posts
    Houdini Student

ohhhh right that sounds good (Zak / Chronos78)

For some reason I remember reading from one of your posts about the 3D Platformer being in Javascript or maybe it was about some of the Unity Videos because the focus of those videos was about learning UNITY features and not programming? It could be I am confusing things(very probably ). BUT what you guys said above sounds great to me, mostly C# that'a all I need

Also from what I now understand from your posts above the new Simple Game may make use of code that will be easier for us to understand (in terms of 'learning for us') if we go through the 3rd Person Character System and 3D Platformer sets first. Then all sounds perfect

now I really can't wait !!!

The new Simple Game project is an interesting one, as it is almost a misnomer. The game itself is quite simple. But we're going to use that as a base to create much more sophisticated underlying code to develop it. Yes, you've already seen how to make the game, so yes, it's all academic at this point. But the academic part is really the point.

The code will be quite a bit more intense than what you might be used to, utilizing known design patterns and programming techniques that we generally don't get into in our videos. If you're already comfortable with C# programming at least to the point of the platforming game, you're likely to find that what is covered will really help your future developments, and your previous skills will help you implement it in your code more readily.

Thanks for the Update Zak! Everything has been awesome looking so far and I can't wait to see the rest.

-Dane

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast