Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

modern/up to date books on windows programing

hey guys im looking for a more up to date book on windows programing. the book im reading atm is Microsoft Visual C++ Windows Applications by Example: Code and Explanation for Real-World MFC C++ Applications. thanks.

c++ books? there are none.

unfortunately, the release of .net caused a massive decline in windows programming literature for c++. only with the most recent vc++ versions (starting with the feature pack update for vc9) this field slowly regained attention. still as of now, all of the newer books on this topic i have looked into were not worth their money imho. the best mfc book i know is still the prosise and that thing is not only over 10 years old, but has also gone out of print in the meantime.
    the most up-to-date book i know on the interns of mfc (which you unfortunately really need to know about once you start building more complex applications) dates back to 1996 and comes with a 3.5'' floppy...

if this starts sounding bizarre to you, then you are on the right track. the best place to start nowadays is actually the mfc code samples shipping with vc10. and even those are not what i'd consider 'modern' c++.

my advice: unless you need to use mfc for some strange reason, don't use it. there are excellent alternatives out there, which are much more powerful, easy to learn and designed in the spirit of c++. personally, i'm a fan of qt, for which i can recommend this book as a nice introduction for beginners.

Yeah, its kinda odd. And really makes no sense. For an API that has been used for so many years, and then MFC, its really quite odd how little material there is on it.Most of the stuff I've picked up has been through reading other peoples code.

Where is the "Winapi Gems" or the "Exceptional Winapi" ??

I started looking at ASM recently and again, not much on it at all. Considering that this stuff has been around for so long.

However, when it comes to .net, you're just spoilt for choice.
    Last edited by wforl; 11-18-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    [quote][\quote]

So how would I get into windows programing then? Its not an area I know a lot about so Im not sure how to ask for guidance. I want to learn how write my own windows applications. Im bored of writing console apps. I want to move forward. What about winforms?

Winforms and WPF are .net. So you'll have to use C++/CLI.

If I were you, Id either use something like QT and work in C++, or WPF and work in C#.

Honestly, using winforms of WPF is so much more enjoyable than using Winapi and C
    [quote][\quote]

is there something that speaks against qt?

if it's about getting to know the windows internals, look at programming windows by petzold, programming applications by richter and the windows internals by russinovich/solomon. those are quite expensive, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap used copy online.
    the msdn is also an invaluable resource. learn how its structured and use it often.

Thanks for the advice. Ill look into some QT

What is CLI? Dosent that stand for Command Line Interface?

Quote Originally Posted by dodlegion View Post
    What is CLI? Dosent that stand for Command Line Interface?
    It does, but it also stands for "Common Language Infrastructure." Read about C++/CLI here.

I understand that you want to get into windows application development, but if that is your goal there are better technologies out there. Understanding the C++ language is a great thing to learn, for any programming, and I highly recommend you to pursue it to some degree. However, there is a reason why windows development in C++ is on the decline, and that's because of new languages like C# (2001) and new platforms such as the WWW (1991, popularized in 2000).

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    It does, but it also stands for "Common Language Infrastructure." Read about C++/CLI here.
    and in case you still have any doubts: you will never, under no thinkable circumstances want to use this stuff unless you absolutely have you. it's probably the single most awful extension of the language ever done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast