Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    @IronSoul
    - planning to use this on Iron butt?

The chest area looks a little pushed in for me the exosuit looks like they could really take some damage.

I don't know what I want to do with iron butt. I'm not continuing it til I have some true core members(people who I can talk to every day for a 3 hour period). I think I want to do some learning projects with it, or some week long group challenges where everyone gets together to build one thing in a week. Don't want to derail this thread though so any replies about iron butt should be in a new thread, If you respond in this thread, I'll make a new thread.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

Using Derek's old Elythain male image plane concept art as an inspirational base, I decided to both learn from it and add my own ideas to it.

Actually, I was only going to try and learn to draw the Elythains by doing rough sketches, but it was looking so good I went ahead and drew it out with nice lines as well as rendering it in color. I am really happy with how it turned out. One of my best drawings to date. The big things I added was the abdominal muscles done in a bit of an alien way, and giving him very muscular thighs. My thoughts with the thighs are that they would be able to leap around very well and high, compared to us humans. The guy I drew, I was thinking would be a warrior.

The other thing I am happy about, is that we had a discussion in the last class about their raised heels, and we all agreed that it would be best if they were up when they are walking / running, but when standing still they will be brought down, so they will not look wobbly, and instead have good balance, and therefor able to be the acrobats we have all thought of them as being.

Even though they may resemble and image plane, that is not what this is for. If it was an image plane, the side view should be straight. But I have him bent, in as slight a degree as I could make him, while still given him balance while standing with heels up. It was meant as a test. And also to help me draw him in a three fourths perspectives view later.

I thought it might be cool to add a gif animation that goes through some of the steps involved in making that last alien drawing. I tend to think these are cool when other people do them. I thought maybe someone would find this interesting and or useful. I learned how to make them in Photoshop tonight so I could do this.

I hope it works right on this page.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elythain-practice-drawings-a4.gif 
Views:	327 
Size:	849.8 KB 
ID:	74292  

Well I have a new drawing of one of the aliens for the MMO game that we are making. This one is in perspective and I am really proud of it. It took a long time to get right, but I feel like I did a really nice job on it. I look at it now and can't believe I drew it. Although I will probably hate it and think I did a terrible job on it in a few months, lol. Like everything I draw, it looks a lot better when not zoomed in and seen while it is smaller.

Now I am working on giving it the outfit concepts, who's basic shape I have already come up with. The first one that I will get done with will be the assassin class. So far it is coming along pretty well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elythain dress concept render lines c4 MRess.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	74381

Well here is my Elythain Assassin Concept art finally done. This is my best work yet. I am really proud of it. It has turned out way better than I had expected it would. Now I have the pressure to make my other concepts turn around the same level as this one. For that, I am really going to have to push myself. It is neat because when I look at this character I can honestly say that I would like to play as him. Another cool thought I had was the realization that I would have totally wanted the action figure version of this to play with as a kid. How cool is that?

Here is the final fully rendered version.

Here it is the flat colors.

Here is the line art.

Edit: Oh I should explain why there are three versions of him. I have imagined that he would get more and more cool looking as he leveled up. So I have show three fazes of what that might look like.
    Last edited by Wolfknightly; 01-28-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Next character class concept done.

The Necromancer.

I feel very happy about this one. I think it came out very nicely. Well at least I know there will be more than one cool looking class for the Alien side.

-------

Merry Cooke, thanks for the comment. I am glad to hear that you like the assassin concept.

As for this statement, “I used to draw anime characters really well when I was in high school but I can't seem to recapture that talent now.”

I feel that I understand why that is. First of all, your use of the word talent shows a common mind set, that I believe is a mistaken way to look at it. It doesn't take talent to draw well, it takes a lot of hard work, learning and finally achieving an understanding of the various elements. Just about anyone could learn to do it. The most important aspect that determines whether or not one will learn to draw is determination. Make no mistake, it is hard to learn, you will be frustrated often, and most people will stop unless they happened to be dead set on getting better. But there in no magic in it. It is just work.

Another reason is because, depending on how old you are, you may have been away from working on it for a long time, and you will get rusty doing that. A lot of drawing is about hand-eye coordination, and that is something that you just have to keep up with to maintain it. Would you expect a professional athlete to go years away from their choosing sport and then still be as good at it the first time the picked it up again? Even if they stay in shape working out, if they don't practice their skills, they will be rusty and unsure. A Basketball player will have trouble making their shots, no mater how good they were four years earlier.

The other big reason is the distorted view we have of the past. You remember the end product that you did. Maybe, and probably, you have looked at old drawings that you have done, and don't remember the struggle you had in getting them to look as good as you did. You don't remember all the erasing that you did; all the adjustments.

I still have that issue with a drawing I just finished. I Remember most the last part of the process when I was just doing little tweaking. I forget the frustration I had in starting it. Then when I start something new I am surprised to once again have that frustration and struggle. I think, “But wait, aren't I better than this now? I mean look how good that last thing I drew looks!” It is always a disappointment. But I push through it. But as I keep working on art, it slowly gets a bit easier. But I have never drawn anything that was not a struggle to get right. For me, it is always about attempt after attempt and making adjustments. I long for a day when it is easier, and I can do things faster. But I don't give up, so I can't help but to improve as I go.

I do think talent is a actual thing, it just has very little to do with being able do draw. Talent is more about creating, in your imagination something worth looking at. But even that is in large part learned. You can be taught compositions, and improve with it. But drawing, say, the human form in correct proportion, or learning perspective, or learning how to render a drawing, all can be learned and takes no real talent. Some people will be faster at picking it up than others but that is it.

If you want to draw, just keep drawing. There is so much training out there, both cheap and free, online, that there has never been a better time to learn.

My next concept art piece is an Elythain Battle Mage, at least that is it's working title. It could just as easily be called Warrior Mage. The idea is that he would be good enough in both magic and melee fighting, but not really be great in either one. He would need to use both of the together for best affect. But he wouldn't just be stuck doing mainly one of the, so he would be versatile. I really like how this one turned out.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567