Question What constitutes Nudity in a drawing?

I am not altogether sure what is considered a nude drawing, that needs to be stated as such and warned against as of this sites rules. I mean it is clear to me in a photo, but not a drawing. I mean if it was just up to me to judge, then I would say only drawings that were explicitly sexual, as in so far as being able to be considered vulgar perhaps. Stepping down from that a bit, I would say, just don't show the genitals. Sense I am not drawing the genitals in the first place, at the moment, that would suit me just fine. I also think there is different rules for drawings of men from drawings of women.

So let us first start with drawings of men. If you don't draw or include the genitals, do I still need to state a nude warning? Or to be even more clear, do I need to call it nude if it is a front view? I would think not. But then there is the question about a back view. Do I need to censor out the butt crack or not. I mean without the genitals it is really just a Ken doll, and I don't think I would need to censer a picture of a Ken doll without it's cloths on. I mean if those are safe for small children then what would even be the issue?

Now about drawings of women. I would guess that without the genitals you would still need to remove the nipples. I mean censor them, removing them just sounds painful. Then the next question would be a woman's butt crack. Does it need to be censored out, even if the man's crack doesn't need to be. I mean I have seen both Bart and Homer Simsons bare butt on the show, but never Marge's or Lisa. I think it is because a mans butt is also seen as comedy, and a women's butt is seen only in a sexual context. But I might point out that a Barbie doll does have a bit of a butt crack, if memory serves.

Also, I wonder if anyone is afraid to take a child into an art museum where there are tons of classic paintings of nude people.

The other thing about it is, I just can't shake this sense of absurdity in thinking of my drawings that way. More so with just pencil lines. I mean it comes down to, if you make this line in this place it is nude and possibly objectionable, but if you make the same line over here then everything is still G rated. I mean you can just ever so suggest a nipple on a woman, and it is nude, but you could make it look as if she is wearing a tight fitting shirt and add even more detail to the nipple and it is thereby still fine because you drew lines for a shirt that made it look like it is under cloth. Or making a line that comes out of the crack and hugs the wast so that it looks like she is wearing a thong bikini bottom, even though you can still see as much of the crack, and butt, as you could before. It really just starts getting weird if you think too much about it.

To be clear, I am not just trying to start a philosophical debate about the definition of nudity, although I wouldn't mind if others took up the call to do so, but I am really just trying to get some clear answers about what this site considered a nude drawing, so that I know whether or not I need to put a disclaimer up when I post some of my drawings later. Also, what I would need to do to censor those drawings to make it unnecessary to have to give a nudity warning.

Thank you.

if you're posting stuff that is trying for realism, or genitalia you should post a warning. If you're posting rough sketches that don't really show much other than a few lines, probably not. But it is up to you to use your judgment. If you're in doubt, it might be best to post a warning though. But if you do post something without a warning that people feel that should have come with a warning, you'll just get told so. Change it, and everyone moves on.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

how they treat nudity in art and how they treat it in life is so much different and kind of strange. You show a nude sculpture in a class room and its all good but you show a nude photograph of somebody and they will take you out back and shoot you. figuratively speaking of course
    I think it varies from place to place on how to distinguish if it should be given a warning or not. If in doubt it never hurts to give warning and if you don't you may get a warning yourself
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

If there is any chance that someone might be offended or if they were looking at it outside of their own home where others could see, then simply put (NSFW) in the title to alert the viewer. You may not feel that it is offensive, but someone's boss might if they are walking by and spot it on their monitor.

Pat1l

Yes, if there is any chance someone would be offended with an image, post the warning. 99.9% of the time it will be no problem, but there is that .1% that gets upset and they are loud, so it is just safest to post a warning and move along. So, no clothes, post warning and no problem. It will not stop anyone that is interested in art looking at your images.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

I used to be concerned with this subject before taking a couple of life drawing courses. And let me tell you, those first couple of days in a life drawing class are VERY awkward. However, after a month, staring at naked men and women standing in the middle of a classroom (and drawing their gentiles) doesn't phase you in the slightest. But a warning is always good for those people who have never been in a life drawing class. Said people have the potential of not taking that initial shock too well. By the way, regarding the issue of drawing the genitles, read tip 11 in this article.

Thanks for your response to my question. I think I was just over thinking it a bit. I will just put “mild nudity” in the title. That says it all I think. It lets people know that it is not trying to be advertently sexual, and still warns people that they might not want to open it at work, for instance. This way I will not have to give any more thought to the drawings I will post in the future as well.

By the way, the only reason I am not drawing genitals, is because, at this state it is unnecessary to my goals. Right now I am just trying to get the basic body looking correct, before I start adding clothes to my figures. So, adding detailed genitals doesn't help show correct form when clothes are concealing them. It is not that I am squeamish about drawing them or anything. When I am ready, to start drawing to make “Art” then I am sure I will do nude drawings with all parts included.

As for now, I am drawing to improve my understanding of human form. I am drawing what I think of as templates, that I can refer back to as I try to memorize everything with practice. Really, right now drawing the male genitals is counter productive, because it is just something that will be in the way of other lines; lines that are more important to my understanding of the figure.

Generally, anything that you see covered up on afternoon television should be covered up for it not to be considered "nude."

If you're curious or even concerned, I say just put the warning up there to be safe.

I remember my first life drawing class. The model was this amazingly gorgeous woman. Seriously, she could have got a job modeling for just about any magazine you can imagine...yes, any magazine. That was awkward, to say the very least. Tricky for a 19-year-old to concentrate, I can assure you. But eventually you get used to it and you can concentrate again. It all becomes lines and forms.