Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Alive!

I'm Alive!

Hey all,

Sorry for the absence over the last few days. I've been jamming with Lee producing a TON of Unity training. The week's been absolutely insane. Here's a brief rundown of what happened. Please understand that if this timeline gets iffy, it's only because the last 7 days have been a complete blur.

Sunday night, Jason and Angie got some terrible news about their daughter needing surgery, and I ran Angie to the airport early on Monday morning for a flight to LA. Worked straight through Sunday night until time to leave.

Monday, I worked with Jason and Lee on the Unity videos, until Jason found out that the situation was bad enough that he ought to get out there himself. It was already too late to get a flight out of Nashville, but we discovered an early flight for the next morning that left out of Atlanta, which would land him in LA sometime shortly after 10:00am on Tuesday. So we left the house around 11:00pm on Monday night, and I had him at ATL by 4:30 local (note the 1hr timezone shift). I then turned around drove back to Dickson. It's about 4.5 to 5 hrs each way.

On the way back into Nashville, I wound up in the middle of the bumper-to-bumper grind just between Murfreesboro and Nashville, headed west on I-24. At this point, it's about 8:00am and I am a zombie. I looked down at just the right time and bumped into the car in front of me. Great.

We pulled over and she got my phone and insurance info. There was no damage to be seen. Literally the kind of thing bumpers are built for. Not even any paint transfer. Very nice lady, though. I still haven't heard anything from her, so I imagine nothing's going to come of it.

Made it home and into bed by around 10:00am on Tuesday, about 2 hours before Jason was supposed to land in LA. I slept for about 5 hours, woke up and started going over lesson plans with Lee. That took all day. I had to learn about how this character system he'd developed worked. It is some very cool stuff, but I was completely new to it all. Took a lot of notes.

We called it early that night (around 3:00am) and were up and at it by 10:00am on Wednesday to begin recording. We jammed all day. Right around 8:00pm, Jamianne came up to the recording station all in a panic about the fish tanks. It seems she'd lost track of time while filling the sump downstairs, and had overflowed it by about 20 gallons or so. I really don't know. There was just a lot of water to clean up.

The bad part is that it was all freshwater. The salinity of the tanks dropped to just about brackish. Understand that Jason is across the country dealing with his daughter's cancer surgery, so I really didn't want to bother him. So in between recording sessions, I was mixing a fresh batch of saltwater as quick as I could, draining out the excess water from the tanks, and ended up getting a new batch of high-salinity saltwater into the system right after we called the day's work, sometime around 7:00am on Thursday.

I slept from about 8:00am to noon. We got back up and got jamming. Running straight around the clock to 7:30am Friday. We slept again until noon, got up and ran non-stop until Lee had to leave for the airport at 1:30pm Saturday afternoon.

In all we recorded 111 videos spanning over 27 hours. We covered the complete creation of a third person character control system in Unity with C#, along with level creation and game coding to turn it into a complete game with lives, an intro screen, game over control, puzzles to solve, the works.

I have since slept for 14 hours and am back on the path to recovery.

I wanted to take a second though, and thank Lee for his absolutely outstanding job in getting all this stuff done. Pure pro.

Hey Zak, you are right to thank Lee but I want to thank you for all you do, for everyone!!!!!
    Houdini Student

Good to hear that you are still moving and alive! You and Lee did an amazing job that I know the rest of us are going to enjoy and learn alot from! I can't wait to watch and listen to the two of you! Thanks alot Zak and Lee! With all that has been going on, you both did an amazing amount of work.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Zak, you are awesome. I love you. Am I allowed to say that without making it weird?

In all seriousness, though, you have great work ethic, and you take care of your friends. My hat's off to you, sir.

I don't know how you guys do it. thank you for all the hard work you guys have done.
    now sit back crack a beer and relax
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

Yup, man-hugs all round!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    So we left the house around 11:00pm on Monday night, and I had him at ATL by 4:30 local (note the 1hr timezone shift). I then turned around drove back to Dickson. It's about 4.5 to 5 hrs each way.
    Dude, you are a SAINT!

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    Dude, you are a SAINT!

Nothing he wouldn't have done for me in the same situation. I was glad to be able to help.

Wow, I didn't know Buzz's daughter had cancer. I'm really sorry to hear that. Buzz isn't having much luck lately. I hope his daughter comes out of it alright.

And Zak, you really need to be commended yourself for the hard work that you put into this, to your friends/coworkers, you are just awesome.

Wow. What a whirlwind of a week! That really sucks that you bumped someone's car. Hopefully since there was no damage she won't do anything... some people see that as their chance to 'get rich' by making someone else's life hell.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast