Smile How to make 2D Animation on a 3D Character Model

Hi,

I'm trying to re-create an animation style like in Zelda: WindWaker. Basically I have a 3D Model Character and I'd like to use a 2D surface as it's face and have the face animated when it's in certain condition like jumping/idle etc. How should I approach it? I've seen it in loads of games but I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks very much in advance.
    -Hakimo

Theres a cartoon character example shipped with maya. To open it go to Window->General Editors->Visor->Toon examples. The CarrotTopKick.ma shows a full toon character with toon shading, bones, animation and dynamic hair. Its 3D but the toon shading makes it look flat. Also check out how some parts like the mouth are objects floating on top the head geometry.

There is also a Movie option if you look at the actual shader that you are applying and instead of adding a "file" for a texture, you can add a "movie". There is a offset option in there among some other controls to setup how you want it to play. I have only used it with an image sequence and haven't used it often so I am not sure about everything it can do. It works great if you are just trying to play an image sequence to be rendered out but I am not sure how it would work in your scenario.

-Dane

I would avoid the Movie node, if i were you. It's pretty dated and last I checked only supported some archaic formats. Just use a regular File node and use image sequence.

I wouldn't handle it through texture if I didn't have to. You could actually model a mouth that looked like a brush stroke, along with the eyes and so forth. Then use blend shapes to animate them, just as you would in a real face. You can always take the final and scale it down to be completely flat.

Wow thanks very much for the replies I'll play around and see which one suits me. Cheers
    -Hakimo