Question HDR Sky with Mental Ray

Ok heres the deal,

I have spent a few hours trying to follow some tutorials online, but i haven't been able to find a correct solution yet.

I have a HDR sky image and I want to add that to my outdoor scene (Max 2010) and light everything using Mental Ray.
    - The tutorials that I have followed, have allowed me to add the sky, and light comes from the sky, but the entire scene is very dark, or even black - even after playing around with different parameters.

So Im asking if anyone could give me or know of a good step by step tutorial for HDR Skies and lighting in Max using Mental Ray.. because its driving me insane!!

you have to use a skylight and add the Hdri map in the map slot of the skylight...

Then you must enable final gather inside mental ray or it will give you a dark scene.

Also usually you would use a low res version of your hdri image for lighting

i.e. you use full resolution for the environment map... and a low res (300X50 or something like that... I usually also blur these in photoshop) it will give you less chattering in your final gather if you are rendering a movie... and it will render faster.

~chess

Thanks for the reply,
    Everything makes sense apart from the lighting map... where would i stick in the low res image to add the lighting to the scene?
    http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/image.php?u=210381&type=sigpic&dateline=1181814181