Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wow. My crappy experince with SC2.

So I got SC2 collectors edition. And I have had...one crappy SC2 experience.

Gripe numero uno: the music CD, yeah, my cd drive won't read it. No seriously, I can read EVERY OTHER cd, dvd, whatever, I can burn dvd's be the R or RW or RW+ or whatever...but for some reason my drive isn't good enough to read the SC2 music soundtrack cd. Wow.

Gripe number 2: So I start up SC2 and I'm like, "I know, I'll play a custom game. Can I do that?" "No." Says the game, "you don't have any achievements" or something like that, anyway point is it wouldn't let me the first time I opened it up (it does now though).

Gripe number 3: It takes FOREVER to start a game. So I log onto bnet 2.0 (which, for me, multiplayer is like, half the game), and I see the auto matching system, I'm thinking, okay cool...I click it, 3vs3 yeah whatever, Protoss, okay, go.

And it just sits there...for like 5 minuets! I'm thinking, "Dude if I were playing SC: Brood War, I'd be in a game by now."

Okay, wait a minuet, it says it found players, okay...something is going to happen...now....nnnnnnnow. Okay, how about now? Am I supposed to click something, is there a start...button...somewhere? And...it says I timed out.

Okay, that's unexpected, let's try that again.

3vs3, yes, Protoss, and...go. Okay...found players. Now just wait a bit and...'if you were playing SC: Brood War, I'd be in a game by now' "Shut up! SC2 is awesome. Like. You wouldn't even know."

Okay, game is starting...3, 2, okay get ready, 1, 0....now! ...now! ...nnnnnnnnnnnow! Maybe if I jump up and down and scream with frustration that'll make it start faster...or wait, is there some kind of button I'm supposed to press, or is it automatic or...

... aaaaaaaand I timed out.

So I closed the game, finished my homework and then went to bed. Secretly, though, I was still convinced my SC2 multiplayer gaming experience would be stellar, even if we had a rough start.

Day two, the horror! The horror! Save yourself!

So I load up SC2.

Okay, time to chill to a stellar SC2 multiplayer gaming experience (what a foolish newbie I was. Newbs don't have stellar gaming experiences! Bhahahahahahahahha!)

Okay, click on SC2 and... okay, loading screen...loading, loading. Okay, multiplayer...3vs3, Protoss...and...go.
    Searching... and...hey! Players, found! Gee that was quick and hey look, the game is starting! That's great!

Hey look! The game is even loading. Awesome!

Alrighty, time to get down to business, probes to harvest minerals...and oh...woa...it's little jittery. Wait is that, who's lagging? What does, "Waiting for server mean?" "Agh! C'mon I finally get into a multiplayer game and it's all jittery and...wait...my team-mates are saying I lag. I lag. I lag?! What the ...! Seriously! How can I lag! And now they're kicking me out of the game. Great.

I don't get this. I'm at the University of Idaho. The University of Idaho is my ISP. I'm connected (via Ethernet) to the internet at about 100mbps or something like that. It's supposed to be the fastest type of connection available in the US. I remember one of the tech guys saying that the U of I has all the same, "tubes" that Comcast and AOL has so it's a direct connection and the U of I is the ISP.

Anyways, all I know is...I download about about 10MB a sec... but I lag and I mean laaaaaaaag (completely unplayable) on multiplayer.

What's that you ask? How fast is my laptop?

Well it's not the fastest laptop around by far but the SC2 beta ran just fine. I got 1GB GDDR3 9600GT video memory, P8400 CPU, 4GB DDR3 memory and of course, plenty of disk space. Not a gaming machine I know, but it should be plenty good enough to run SC2 at full speed...and it does...just not on multiplayer...where it LAAAAAAAAAAGS! I have a 100Mbps Ethernet and it LAAAAAAAGS! Seriously! Ugh.

Worst part of it is, I can hear SC2 and Blizzard laughing at me.

"Oh! You didn't think after getting a collectors edition you'd acutally be able to play SC2 did you! Did you you insolent fool? Did you really think that your puny earth laptop with its Ethernet and its 100Mbps internet connection could handle the POWER and the AWESOMENESS that is SC2? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!"

Lol, almost the exact experience I have playing Modern Warfare 2. Non dedicated servers suck festered ass.

Also remember that even though you may be with a super fast ISP, you may be trying to play the game at the busiest time of the day (everyone on at the same time), and that could be causing your lag, try playing the game late at night/very early morning and see if that makes a difference.

I did play it late at night.

I can't believe I lag on a 100Mbps connection...seriously?

Oh and on the lag screen, it was just me...nobody else on the game was lagging...just me. *Nelson sigh*

You weren't trying to do ranked matches were you?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Command0-182 View Post
    Gripe number 2: So I start up SC2 and I'm like, "I know, I'll play a custom game. Can I do that?" "No." Says the game, "you don't have any achievements" or something like that, anyway point is it wouldn't let me the first time I opened it up (it does now though).

Gripe number 3: It takes FOREVER to start a game. So I log onto bnet 2.0 (which, for me, multiplayer is like, half the game), and I see the auto matching system, I'm thinking, okay cool...I click it, 3vs3 yeah whatever, Protoss, okay, go.

And it just sits there...for like 5 minuets! I'm thinking, "Dude if I were playing SC: Brood War, I'd be in a game by now."

Okay, wait a minuet, it says it found players, okay...something is going to happen...now....nnnnnnnow. Okay, how about now? Am I supposed to click something, is there a start...button...somewhere? And...it says I timed out.

Okay, that's unexpected, let's try that again.
    Sounds like you're having router issues maybe? Have you looked in to port forwarding for bnet?

Day 4: The horror continues!

Okay...
    internet connection, check.
    speed, 100Mbps. check
    Wireless card, Off. check
    Starcraft 2 graphics all set to medium or off. check (didn't have to, it runs fine on high, but I did it anyway).

Open up Starcraft 2

Ranked match, 3vs3, yes, Protoss, okay, go! Searching for players, players found, wow that was quick! Okay, game starting in 3, 2, this is it! 1...

Alright, loading screen! C'mon, load, load, load. Yes! Okay here we go-

"You were dropped from the game."

DAMN IT!

@Toastage, well, I don't have any controller over the router, but everything is fine over on my end.

The fact that you keep calling your internet speed 100Mbps is telling... That's what speed your connection is to your router, not to anywhere else.

If you don't have control over your router, you best find out who does.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Is that 9.3 shared, or personal? I have about that personal and I can play almost any game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast