Rigging issue - IK/FK blend

Hi all, so I'm working on a character rig and set up an IK/FK blend for both arms where I have an IK chain of bones, and FK chain of bones and a "blend" chain of bones which constrain to either of the previous chains via the use of a custom attribute slider.

It was working perfectly and I saved as a new file so I could come back to it in case something messed up. The thing is, now I've opened the file to carry on working on it, it's not working at all - the arms refuse to switch between the 2 chains and only seem to recognise the FK chain (this is true for both arms). I had this problem when I finished one arm but I reopened the same file a few times and it eventually worked - it seemed to randomly decide when to behave and when not to. I've tried reopening 3 files where I know it was working fine because I only made a new save when I checked it was working.

So basically, is this a bug or is something seriously wrong?

I assume it is a bug. I had the same problem when I was dealing with FK/IK rig blends. I just solved it by reopening the file and making sure each time I open the file to check if it is working. I don't think there is any problem with the rig. Max tends to bug out when you are dealing with custom attributes sometimes.

I think you might be right, I opened it again last night and it was blending fine but the bones in the FK chain were linked all wrong. I guess I'll just have to keep opening it until I get a result

Be sure to check this out - one man, some 3dsmax TD had made awesome free script. IK/FK blending system. Script got attention and was mentioned even on autodesk forum. Maybe that will help you. Script is available to many max versions and creator even made video tutorials on how to use it. Very promising tool!

http://joleanes.com/tutorials/ikfk_pivot/ikfk_pivot.php

Thanks Kashak. The script will be rather handy =]

Hey Test, If there is no any other solution or if it happens again I recommend saving the file twice while it is working. Save a new document rather on the same one if you are doing that. It's better if you save a new one every time. I know this might be a hassle but what you could do is redo the rig if it continues failing. Maybe the script will help.

Thanks for the replies. I was using Max 2009 and just upgraded to 2010 and so far, everything is fine (hope I haven't just jinxed it) so I'm going to put it down to a bug