Cool Animator Friendly Rigging Training Material now available!

Howdy folks!

I'm really excited to announce that the Animator Friendly Training material previously available from Autodesk is now available for sell directly from my website!

I've heard over the years that this material has been some of the best for teaching people not only how to rig bipedal characters, but also how to approach character rigging in a way that makes rigs fun for the animator to use.

The series comes in 4 parts:

Part 1 – Introduction To Rigging

What is “rigging”? How should I approach it? What does the animator want?

This section discusses all these things, and dives into creating your first rig.. the bouncy ball!

Part 2 - The Biped – Torso and Head

Now that we have a good idea of what rigging is and how to systematically approach it, let’s get started on what everyone wants to rig – a human!

This section is broken into two parts and discusses how to rig a character’s torso and the head.

Part 3 - The Biped – Arms and Hands

Continuing our discussion on Bipeds, we move on to the arms and the hands of the character. Arms can be creatively challenging since they need to gesture and move naturally, as well as grab onto things and support the character’s weight.

Broken into three parts, the first two sections cover forward and inverse kinematics, shoulder control, removing counter-animation, and more. The third section delves into hand controls with simple yet powerful rigs.

Part 4 - The Biped – Legs and Presentation

Broken into two section, part 4 of the series finishes up the biped. The first section creates a intuitive and powerful leg system. We also get into more of the animator-friendly aspects of setting up your rigs, such as matching, UI, and more.

If you go to my site, you can find video and PDF previews of the material and what is covered in each section.

I'm really excited to be able to offer this material to everyone at a huge discount from it's original price of $29.99 per dvd. Now, it's available for only $14.99 (US), and if you buy the entire bundle at once you get all 8 dvds for the price of 7!

For those of you who have purchased the material in the past, thank you so much! I really appreciate the support. I put a lot of time and energy into these, and it means the world to me that people find them useful!

If you have any questions about them, please ask away! I hope I can answer whatever comes up, and if this is the wrong place to post this stuff, let me know and I can move it.

thanks everyone!
    -jason

Thanks for the info, Jason! I've actually seen these videos (back in the ol' Autodesk days) and I can tell you they are certainly a good resource!

For those who'd like to see how to take that training on the next level, you may also be interested in checking out the Mastering Maya: Advanced Digital Production class, right here on 3D Buzz! We cover rigging as part of the process of development for our own animated short! If you'd like to get some solid training on the entire production process, it's certainly something not to be missed! For more information, please check out the info page in our store!

Plus, you can get access to the entire ADP library with your subscription to 3D Buzz Member Sponsorship!

Thanks Zak!

I've always been really impressed with the training here on 3dBuzz.. the amount you guys do and the quality is fantastic. Plus, you've been doing it for YEARS!! Oh yeah, and the radio shows.. top notch.

Just for those wondering, these DVD's are not app specific, really.

I am using the Houdini rigging series in conjunction with this set and it is just as applicable. Great stuff Jason.
    site

insert witty comment here

That's great to hear, thanks man! My hope was that the theories would be able to be applied outside of Maya, even though most of the examples are pretty maya specific. I'm curious, how have you found converting the stuff over to Houdini? Relatively simple? Are there things that I was doing in Maya that are way harder? Easier?

thanks!

-jason

Well, i bought the DVD's back when i didnt have the Houdini training so i came up against a few walls, but managed to jump certain hurdles. Things like space switching is much easier in Houdini than Maya, or at least it looks that way.

And because the series is very easy to follow, if you know Houdini then, there is really no problem transferring. Even with some of the expression examples. Like squash and stretch. But any problems i had was due to my lack of Houdini skills rather than Houdini's lack of functionality (its really open).

Watching certain chapters from both DVD's, it makes you think about the choice you might want to make, ie in the houdini training you can work in ik, and then when you want to work in fk, you can match fk to ik, and animate in fk and vise-versa. But then you method is more freeform, very spontaneous and quick, so i think its really comes down to what the animator wants and this training is driven by choices and options rather than this is my way, now use it .

So for me i still have to get through all of the Houdini stuff before i can implement more of the workflow in your set. So for Houdini users wondering, you'll be fine if you know Houdini's character tools, if not, then i would get the rigging series from both Jason's :P
    site

insert witty comment here

Hey, Jason, you should call in again sometime! That last interview (what was that, 5-6 years ago now?) was a lot of fun!

Dude, I'd love to! Maybe when MegaMind is finished I can come and chat about it?

-jas

Marscaleb Guest
    Aww, I gotta pay for it?
    I wanna learn for free!

hahaha

yeah.. I wish I could give it away for free.. but it took a LOT to put it all together, and honestly.. I think it's totally worth it.