How do i Resize the Player?

Like the Above says...

How Do I re size the Player??? Script? In game?

I am trying to Re-size the Character to .0005 so that I can

use a custom terrain that is normally 250 patches by 250 patches to make it look like a massive Open World game.

Essentially Smoke and mirrors.

But at the same time retaining the GPU power for more powerful Processes required within the game.

If any one can help me Please do, I am pulling my hair out...

Thanks

- Ben

You might want to describe more fully what you intend. I'm not an expert, but I believe the Unreal Engine 3 is powerful enough to do what you want without doing weird stuff like that. Do you have any idea how enormous the grid is? Just a rough guess, but at real-world-sizes you could probably fit a full-sized city inside the grid (not that you'd want to, just that I'm pretty sure it'd fit). Assuming the character defaults to a size of 1, you're trying to make it one ten-thousandths of a unit - I think that would be smaller than an ant. Stop messing around with the player size and make your game world the size it needs to be. If you're trying to cram a lot of things in there, keep things as simple as possible (non-complex meshes, simple lighting, use a lot of the same meshes in different ways, etc).

Two helpful hints for you - I know you're trying to think outside the box here, but when you run up against a brick wall like this, try a different approach.
    The other one is that the simplest solution to any given problem is usually the correct one. Maybe you're trying to get too technical and fancy - perhaps there is an easier way.

I'm sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question.
    -Dale

Ok, We (me and a group of friends) are Trying to make a UDK game. We want it on the scale of oblivion or more. BUT we are trying to make lower end systems run it as well as high end systems (optimization early on) We have also run into a few "snags" with the UDK.

1. We want to resize the player pawn. I know this can be done in UT pawn. But where in the script is the proper value to resize the player???
    2. We are trying to make a massive out door environment. about 50 x 50 miles. We figured that if we Shrink the character that it will make it look bigger to the player. Like i said above smoke and mirrors.

ChangeSize(#)

should do it as a console command if all goes well. not time to test it im afraid but its listed on here with more console commands that may be useful. noit all of them function properly however.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=889245

if however you never see the players size during the game. there might be another option to change the players eyeheight which is in the defaultsettings.

If you're intending to make such a large playable world, it might actually be a better idea "performance wise" to just stream maps together.Shrinking the player will still renderthe same amount of data as if you're full size really. If you scale everything down to ant size, yet still have a massive city with tons of objects in it. Then you're not going to render any differently.

Unless you're talking about making the city normal size, then shrinking the player down so it's like Army Man view and you're a small ant inside a giant's world. But! If that's the case, be better to scale the objects UP rather than scale the player down.

So! If you're planning to make a world like Oblivion, then what you should want to do is make multiple maps, each section is a new part of the world. Then you use Unreal's level streaming ability to load and unload the maps as they become visible, so that way if you get close enough to a city it'll load the city map and BAM! You have a city without encountering a long loading screen. Then when you leave that city, it unloads that map so it's no longer being rendered and thus, you're good on performance.

Officially full of BS.

Ok, Totally New Question, How Do I enable the Streaming maps?

I am the mapper of the Group so I really have to know this...

A video tutorial would be nice but the only one i know that covers streaming maps. Both Loading and Unloading.

Kinda basic, but may help you.. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_showvideo.php?v=3716

That is about all I have seen on level Streaming.

- Ice_Hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROkHmMEWHU8

this video I found shows how to set up levels to stream... I'm kinda disappopinted that the Buzz videos didn't cover this, as you would think it to be one of the core elements to creating a game in UDK (unless you make multiplayer maps)...
    ... one pixel at a time
    TomHauville.com slash Portfolio