Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ... a fresnel is a much better idea and was, in fact, what I was thinking of when I wrote LERP ...

As for the colour; R: 0.5, G: 0.1, B: 0.1

I think you've currently got G and B to 1 ... obviously you can have it whatever color you think works best; the point was to try and lower the contrast of the colour you want, so instead of it being a bright red or green its a more muted, gray out version. Just mess around with the numbers, or just use the colour picker to get a nice kinda pinkish/redish gray colour.

If you have the material editor smaller (or on a second monitor) so that you can see both the material in the editor, and in the level you can make very quick changes and update the material until you find something you're happy with.

a fresnel might give you a better finish however, if you want the edge to be REALLY red and the middle to be REALLY white.

@NATO:
    I wasn't trying to insult you. sorry if it came off that way. I am sorry.

Next...

While the Fresnel idea did sound like a good one. I've discovered that it really unneeded, as far as I can tell. Plus It's was kicking my ass trying to figure it out. So here is the expression setup so far.

I used the Same constant that drive the glow strength to also double as the Hot Spot color. I had to figure out the alpha bit of the Linear Interp. It really can mess things up if not balanced right.

The Vector Parameter drives the color of the over all glow and colors the Hot Spot of the blade. As you can see it's really dark to compensate for what the Interp does with the whole deal. Which means I'm going to have to figure out a way to recalculate the color this so that I can pick a red and get that with out having to think about how dark that red has to be so that it shows up some what like I expect it to, but I'll get to how I think this could work later.

Lets move along.

Using a few images from the films as reference sources to get something fairly accurate.

Here is one for the Sith/Red material I'm building.

Well after some trial and error with the Fresnel bits that i eventually abandoned. The above expression network turned out looking like this...

Awesome, We're getting so close and it's starting to make me even more confidant that I'm nearing the end and seeing the light at the tip of the saber.

Now if you'll remember. I had to pick a really dark red to get this effect to have a decent red glow that pretty much like the source image.

I now think my new step is making a pure red Vector Parameter into the much darker one will be to divide that by a constant value and then Putting that value into the Multiply Node driving the color end of this whole thing.

Not sure if this will work but I just thought of this while writing and I can't see why not. then again I haven't done this complicated of a material before. I know they can get much more complicated then this but for me I really haven't done much more then Plug a couple of Texture sample directly into the Diffuse and Normal Channels of the Master node.

I'll Keep you posted on my progress.

@NATO Again:
    By the way, Since you are two for two so far. Any other Ideas about this you want to share NATO? Your advice has been awesome so far.

thanks again...
    When all else fails... Keep Shooting at it...

Pipesfranco's Awesome Maya/Mudbox/Photoshop/UDK Videos
    [ Vid01 | Vid02 | Vid03 | Vid04 | Vid05 | Vid06 | Vid07 | Vid08 | Vid09 | Vid10 | Vid11 | Vid12 ]
    (And more on the way...)

Wow. Discovery.

It seems that after a little bit of playing around with an unaltered version of my current Expression set up. I already have it pretty much perfect.

I used a pure red and it ended up pretty much dead on to what I wanted in the first place.

So I tried a few other colors. Let me show you those real quick.

So pretty much this effect is done unless I can think of how to make it any better.

Again it's doesn't need any post processing or any real tricky stuff with making the color darken then a basic color. Some colors show up a lot better then others Like green for instance. I actually had to make the green lighter so it wouldn't totally wash out the hot spot. I chose a more sky blue for preference and as a peace offering for NATO for all his awesome help.

However I haven forgotten about you Jeff. you've been awesome to.

Anyway. here it is. And I've shown you all how I did it. tomorrow I am going to make this material all over again just to make sure i didn't leave out a step while messing with the setting an expressions.

I'll Let you know if there is anything I did that I haven already show all of you but for the most part I think this material is done. Tell me what you think?

[ Vid01 | Vid02 | Vid03 | Vid04 | Vid05 | Vid06 | Vid07 | Vid08 | Vid09 | Vid10 | Vid11 | Vid12 ]
    (And more on the way...)

Just so we are clear, it is using post processing. That is what causes the glow effect. If you look in the World Properties under the post process settings, you will see the Bloom settings. That is what controls the bloom (or glow) effect. All I was saying earlier is that you can control the effect even more with those settings.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabuntu View Post
    @NATO:
    I wasn't trying to insult you. sorry if it came off that way. I am sorry.
    You didn't insult me at all! I was just being an idiot XD

Also what Jeff said about post processing.

What lighting are you using in the scene at the moment?

@Jeff:
    Oh Okay, well then Let me correct my statement. I didn't mess with the bloom setting beyond the defaults? Good to know about those setting however and will look into that later. for now I'm going to make the the Glow vibrate some how. I think that can be done with a sort of scan line sort of mask or something like that. I'll Look into that later however.

Thank you for your help.

@NATO:
    Good, the Last thing I wanted is to insult people who are awesome and helpful. Glad we cleared that up.

As for the Lighting. this is just you basic Testbed Level. A 1024x1024x256 Room without a Ceiling. A Lightmass Importance Volume Lust covering the room inside with a single default Point Light dead center of the rooms Volume and a Skydome over it all at 0,0,0 just so I can get under the Saber and not have the glow not wash out the Hot Spot. I also have it building the lighting at production setting and that about it.

All and all it's just your basic Test Bed. Nothing special really.

@ALL:
    I just remade the material from scratch, and it still Looks to be Like it working just like it was before. I will mention this. the Lighting mode is set to MLM_Unlit as opposed to MLM_Phong. Not sure is that makes any Noticeable difference.

As it sits, I'm calling this little project done for the time being until I can animate a few things. things i have asked you to forget I've said. chance are nothing will come of any of this. but At least i now know how to use the material editor a little better. that a good things.

I'll keep you all posted if I make any further progress on this one. And keep checking this as long as some keeps posting a reply...

Have any question, or ideas of how to improve this, Please let me know Either here of PM. I'm more then Happy to listen or help out with what little I have discovered.

Take Care y'all...

(And more on the way...)

i create this by my own

what do you think about this ?

What method did you use for yours, Your Glow seems to be a lot bigger then needed. The black void behind the blade is causing a slight bit of a problem. Try making a few walls and dropping a Skydome over so we can see through the glow. Other then that, sure. It's a lightsaber like effect.

(And more on the way...)

its old version of my lightsaber. Here im create a glowing part by creating a few planes and give theys a glowing texture
    later i waill show you my new version

Awesome thanks...

(And more on the way...)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast