Mastering Unreal III.. Will we ever see it?

This book has been pushed back by Amazon 11 times by my count. I ordered this book last October and it was supposed to arrive later November.

I would simply roll with the punches and accept the delays, but it's getting a little silly. I even had a customer service rep tell me that it would be sent out no later than April 25th. When I checked my email this morning I received yet another message claiming it won't be out until May 05th now.

At this point I'm already getting it for free because I've complained to amazon a handful of times to Amazon. I don't care though as I would rather just have the book.

Can some please explain why this book has been continually delayed for the past 5 months.

You'll need to ask the publisher (Sams) or Epic. They are the ones controlling it's release. The 3DBuzz guys involvement finished years ago - as you'll see in the many of these threads on here.

It would make more sense for Epic to re-target this to the UDK now, but I don't know how likely that is.
    Mostly Human since '74

Thanks Keezer!

Terry, Keezer is spot on with his reply. Jeff and David completed the scripting book over a year ago, and it is out of our hands. Epic has made 50% of the unedited manuscript available over on the UDK site - for free. So you can do many of the tutorials that Jeff and David had put together.

Regarding books, tutorials, etc. Epic is far more interested in UDK than content for UT3, which is starting to become a bit dated.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Buzz

Thanks. I will look into that over at the Epic forums. I also didn't know that half of the unedited manuscript was up. Thanks for the heads up

It is now July and the book is still not out.

We scheduled this book to be used as a set text for the Games Modification subject at our uni, which is run in semester 2, 2010. This was decided in November last year, and the course is to begin in three weeks.

When the book release date was pushed back to July (after multiple push-backs since we ordered the books), we contacted the publishers and emphasized that we needed the book in July. The publisher said "it is coming out in July, so there is no problem".

Well, the date has since been pushed back twice further into September. The subject is relying heavily on this book to provide the content the students have been promised, and the publisher refuses to give us even a draft of the book.

I have found the "half" of the book you mentioned, but having just chapters 2, 3, 6, 9, 11, 12 and 13 isn't going to be very helpful for us. Is there any way we can get a copy, even an unedited electronic copy, to work with? We're in big trouble otherwise!

I understand you're in trouble, but think about what you just asked. Hand out a copy of a text that we wrote under production contract, that technically doesn't even belong to us? I'd rather us avoid a lawsuit, so I'm afraid the answer is going to be "no."

I am very sorry, but this is something that is completely out of our hands.

Hmmm.. So you're saying I shouldn't have sent that email...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Usually I have some kind of snide remark in reserve but this time I’ve got nothing.

I was just told that the book here (in Australia) wouldn't be published till october. I paid in full for the book in Febuary; and waited patiently. However atop the endless delays, they actually wanted to charge me the difference in the new cost.
    I have lost patience and had to cancel my order for the book. Paying $55 AUD for something waiting though enless delays with no news on why and then being asked to pay out an additional $50 American (thereabouts).

And I still don't have a clue on why it has been delayed... again.