Smile Organic modeling and animation?

I have been teaching myself Houdini for the past 3 month and its been one hell of a journey. I am currently a full time graphic designer and have decided to move into the world of CG. Unfortunately I cant afford to go back to school so I have decided to learn it on my own. A difficult task let me tell you, but I have not allowed it to detour me from achieving my goal.

I decided to teach myself Houdini, after a long look at other packages out there. I just fell in love with the potential power of Houdini. I do plan on learning another package such as Maya for the sake of having a more well rounded skill set (to get a job). But I want Houdini to be my number one app. I welcome anyone out there that may have some advice for a man on a mission.

Anyway, on to my question. I have gone through several tutorials and videos including Fast Track and most if not all of the modeling videos I see are for hard models, such as a stool, a bridge, a spoon or a elevator, (dont get me wrong those were great and I learned a lot) but nothing for more organic models such as a snail, a fish, a bird or a character. I have read many of the forums out there and many suggest looking at a Maya tutorial and trying to do the lesson through Houdini. And, though I do think that is a good idea I also think it would still be nice and helpful to see a video tutorial of such modeling for Houdini specifically.

If there is one out there please direct me to it, or should I just learn Maya, Modo or Zbrush and forget about that kind of modeling in Houdini?
    Last edited by path_2p; 03-10-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Check this thread out:
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...ing-in-hoduini
    Look at Jim Crafton's work specifically and find posts from him about modeling in Houdini.

Hey thanks for the link, I checked out some of his stuff. Its really cool. He does have some organic models, though most of his "Houdini only" models are hard surface models such as spaceships, and it seems that for the more fleshy, organic stuff he uses ZBrush and then brings it into Houdini. I am getting the impression that even though Houdini is capable, it might not be the best option for that kind of modeling at a high level of detail. Either way, it would still be nice to see a video tutorial on this just as you might find for Maya. In the end it all depend and the skill level of the artist for a particular package I guess.

Real men use Houdini. Period. It puts hair on your chest. It allows you to leap mountains in a single bound. It separates the men from the boys, the wheat from the chaff, the girly "artists" with their My Pretty Pony lunch pail from the true 3D Wizards. What do you think Chuck Norris uses? Blender? Modo? I think not. He knows the true path to enlightenment starts with a "Hou" and ends with "ni".

Seriously once you get a grasp of how things work in it, it's really powerful. However it comes with a learning curve that I guess not everyone is willing to deal with. The modeling tools are pretty good out of the box, though for certain things not quite as sophisticated as Maya or Modo. However that doesn't prevent you from building stuff like this:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...wtopic&t=18298

First off all the 3D Buzz stuff is great. Get your hands on all of that. Once you've gone through that, in many cases you can follow along tutorials written for other programs without huge amounts of hassle (at least for the modeling phase, shaders can be a little trickier).

For more advanced tutorials, check out http://cmivfx.com/. They have a couple on modeling specifically that offer all sorts of useful tips.

Peter Quint's stuff is also amazing, really useful.

I have been meaning to put something together, but I keep blowing it off due to my current Houdini project which has sort of exploded out of all rational perspective.

For high levels of detail, it depends on what you want to do. As far as I can tell, for organic stuff the general workflow for everyone tends to be:
    1) Create the base mesh in Silo/Maya/Max/Houdini -or- use ZBrush's ZSphere's to create it
    2) Do all your high end sculpting in ZBrush
    3) Bring the mesh and normal/displacement maps into 3d package of choice

For hard surface modeling I don't see much difference with the exception that some of the packages have some extra tools right out of the box than Houdini does. In almost all cases there are either 3rd party extensions that people have written to mimic this (using Houdini itself to do this, and in many cases without scripting!), or you could try it yourself. The other packages might be a little faster in some cases, but in other cases Houdini's actually faster, it all depends on what you're modeling. Also some of the packages don't have equivalents to the Houdini toolset. For example, Modo, and Silo lack a NURBs toolset. Blender's supposedly has one, but I don't believe it's usable (could be wrong here).

Anyhow, got to get to sleep, good luck!

Real men use Houdini. Period. It puts hair on your chest. It allows you to leap mountains in a single bound. It separates the men from the boys, the wheat from the chaff, the girly "artists" with their My Pretty Pony lunch pail from the true 3D Wizards. What do you think Chuck Norris uses? Blender? Modo? I think not. He knows the true path to enlightenment starts with a "Hou" and ends with "ni".
    Hurrah... Jim Crafton for president!!! World domination through Houdini!!!

Nice post and really nice hints on learning path plus possible workflows...

I guess it's always the same... being from a 3ds Max background, the workflow was that... build inside your app, sculpt in Zbrush/Mudbox, mesh and maps into your app again...

Of course Houdini is more powerful and that means more to learn in order to do what you want but that's the price you have to pay to be able to leap mountains in a single bound...
    One step at a time... towards enlightenment! I hope...

My Amazing Blog - Enter at your own risk...