Making a clay render - But on an interior scene

Hi folks,

I've just finished modeling an interior scene, a living room to be exact. While modeling everything out I had the ceiling hidden. For the walls I just unchecked the 'Double Sided' Attribute in the Attribute Editor. Worked out fine and when I tried making a here's-my-progress clay render every now and then by just rendering out an occlusion pass I had no problems whatsoever. Now however, upon finishing, I wanted to create a clay render from every corner and leave it at that (for now). I'm not really confident at shading this (yet) so I chose to leave it for sometime in the future. I revealed the ceiling, seeing of course how I wanted it to be visible and not aim below it with the camera. What I wasn't aware of in that moment however, was the simple fact that all default light coming from above would basically be blocked from now on. -> An occlusion pass render gave me a black image... Great

I didn't really want to spend a lot of time with creating an image that I can just look at without having to open Maya. But is there any way to make this work without creating a working light-setup. Could I maybe have the ceiling let light through? Or could a different way like using GI and FG work?

Thanks in advance,
    Kilian

Thanks for the link. There's some really helpful stuff, but apparently nobody has come across the question/problem I'm facing. Maybe it just isn't a problem of any kind and all I really can do is back away from the default lights. Oh well, with a bit of looking around I'm sure I'll find a quick and easy way to accomplish this. I just thought there'd be an even easier solution :P

You can always create the MR amb occ shader and apply that ,but personally i use a lambert shader and turn the mat opacity to solid mat .Great for clay rendering.

Ultimately you probably don't want to use the default light setup for much of anything, specifically since you have little control over it. That said, an AO/clay render is independent of all but a the ambient light, so additional/default lighting shouldn't effect the render at all.

Ah, good to know.... Thanks!