Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I just watched the videos on SpriteManager and I'm a bit confused. At the moment, I have some sprites on a 1024 by 1024 "atlas". I'd like to play the sprites on screen. Watching the videos, he's able to load the sprites by using pre-fabs with SpriteManager. What I would like to know, is it necessary to use pre-fabs to load your sprites? I got confused when he used the GameObject tempgo with the prefabs in its arguments.

Also, does anyone know how to play animations from one or several texture sheet/atlas? From the wiki, I think I can use the AddSprite() and PixelCoordToUVCoord() functions.

Thanks in advance.
    -Hakimo

Hey it looks like some of the Links are Broken..idk if these things are covered in the other tutorials but if not, it seems all the odd numbers are not working. I could really use the help with this.

Thanks in advance

nevermind
    Last edited by Disgust; 03-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Hello,

I am not sure if you are even following this thread any longer, but I couldn't help but notice there was this "Game Manager" script that came into play, but was hardly mentioned. I'm assuming that its because Game Managers are basic components to game play, but it seemed like without the GM, the SM was doomed to not work. I didn't catch the code for the GM. Is there a way to get a hold of that code?

Thanks!
    ~Sobriquet

I know I am quite late with this but I am going over the Unity videos and I am working through the SpriteManager videos. I understand the need for it and its benefit. I am using the newest version of Unity and I noticed that when he was recording this video set, there was a difference that I have a question about.

When you enable the stats button, the old version of unity shows that with 5 separate objects, it created 5 draw calls. In my version, it now shows Draw Calls: 1 Batched 5!!!

Does this mean that the new version of Unity is much better at reducing the draw calls on its own and no longer needs Brady's classes to modify it anymore?

I am still going to learn about the spriteManager since it has other benefits with the "atlas", but I was just curious.
    The sleepless one! ZZzzzz

OK, so I was reading this: http://unity3d.com/support/documenta...-Batching.html

So I decided to put it to the test. Since each object uses the same texture I was curious how the new Unity would handle it. So instead of 5 basketballs, I made 1500!!! (very cool I might add.) At its highest, It still only made >>2<< draw calls and batch 60. The two were one for the floors since they used the red material, and ONE for all of the 1500 basketballs! So as long as I am careful to reuse or share materials from my own atlas where possible, unity will reduce its own draw calls.

I love what I saw with the SpriteManager 2 (for $149). But until we make that investment, do we really need the SpriteManager batch anymore?

Hello, hopefully somebody is still checking this thread. I'm following these videos and enjoying them. In episode 10 I have run into a problem. When I add the configurable joint to the ball prefab, lock the ZMotion and check 'configured in world space', the balls are frozen in place when they spawn in. Disabling the ZMotion lock makes them move as the should. (but they still roll around in the Z axis)

I'm using the newest version of unity. Thanks in advance for your help.

Look closely in your inspector. The new version of Unity has that attribute added and the whole section for disabling Z is also no longer needed.

Aha! Thank you so much. Brilliant. :]

If anybody else has this issue, all you need is to go into the ball prefabs rigidbody, open 'constraints' and check 'freeze position Z'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12