Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Renderman for MAYA courses/Tuts

Hi I am on the lookout for a beginners guide to renderman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfNULxktUiY

This looks ok. Though he never finished the set of tutorials and ran off with the students money. So I am not even sure its still available. Shame

I need a really solid in depth renderman course, and if anyone could help please shout. Digital Tutors look OK but are on the short side.

Do 3dBuzz do some?

Thanks had some amazing responses to my rigging request so I thought I would try again!

Greetings uphillcastle!

At this time, we do not have Renderman videos. Steve and I have discussed putting some introductory videos together if time permits. Currently, Steve is wrapping up the Maya Character Rigging Tool series, and once complete, if time permits, he'll begin work on an Introductory Renderman series.

If this does move forward, I'll make sure to update everyone on 3D Buzz that the videos are in development.

Cheers,

BuZZ

That would be fantastic....as you probably know tutorials can be hit and miss....I just want to say that 3dbuzz absolutely nails it for me.... Same cant be said for other ones (non3dbuzz) I have tried....Will keep an eye out, thanks
    Last edited by uphillcastle; 12-11-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by uphillcastle View Post
    That would be fantastic....as you probably know tutorials can be hit and miss....I just want to say that 3dbuzz absolutely nails it for me.... Same cant be said for other ones (non3dbuzz) I have tried....Will keep an eye out, thanks
    Thank you for letting me know!! I know that not everyone likes the way we do our videos, but it's always great to hear from those that do!

Thanks again!

BuZZ

Thumbs up

IMO it comes down to teaching for me. I have tried a fair amount of tutorials. Some people are natural teachers (its a gift I think) Just because people make tutorials doesnt make them teachers...alot on YouTube are patchy. I have had teachers in schools, who shouldnt actually be there....Its actually rare to find a true teacher....but as the Zen saying goes "When the student is ready the teacher appears," anyhow thanks again.

Jason,

3dbuzz training videos are the best out there. I think people forget what market you are aiming at. If someone is still at the level where they need to watch someone do something the video should be more than just hitting buttons and pushing verts. I have purchased videos from other vendors and to me, paying $60 for an hour and a half of little or no commentary or explanation is a waste. There are plenty of boards or blogs where that kind of info is free.

Keep up the great work. Oh, and Renderman vids would be nice...just sayin.

Lent
    -Lent

As for me, I've placed your VTMs as the benchmark against any other tutorials I watch. Not only do you guys take us by the hand and show us EVERY step you also keep it entertaining. Great job guys.

By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. --Socrates

I have read the following in another forum about tips for learning renderman:

"1. Acquire a strong math foundation (Algebra, Calculus, Linear Algebra)

2. Read about philosophy of procedural programming

3. Read about C

4. Read about Renderman

5. Code while you are reading all these things

Tough task, but this is the key to thoroughly understanding the material."

Now this sounds all well and good, but I havent studied maths for years....And to be honest I am approaching Maya from an Art background type of "attack." (in other words my maths skills are - bad : ((

Is the points that in the quote a valid way of begining renderman?

And is learning renderman a highly mathematical process, or can it be tackled in a creative way?

thanks

Or my question could be summarised as : do you need to be a programming genius to work with Renderman for Maya?

It kinda depends on what you mean by 'learning Renderman.' Most of what you list (math, procedural programming, learning C, coding) would be extremely useful if you want to learn to work with the Renderman Interface Specification-

https://renderman.pixar.com/products/rispec/index.htm

- but not as important for using PhotoRealistic RenderMan (or other spec compliant renderers), especially if you use the Renderman for Maya plugin.

The reading as much as you can find about Renderman point is a good idea either way, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast