Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kassel, Germany
    Posts
    17
    Fur has no stuff for a hole DVD and it exists
    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...409&Itemid=305

    I can only write my suggestion again....

    It is not important which Network Types (POP, DOP, CVEX VOP, etc.) this next tutorial DVD has - it is important to make finally something realistic stuff, because this doesn't exits for Houdini.

    Their are many independent or Apprentice real filmmakers outside the big studios which use Houdini for CG Elements in Real Footage and with this tutorial you should learn how to get realistic final results with HD.

    City Harvest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V5fKX_U3qY

    / The Apples are CG in this clip /

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle66 View Post
    Fur has no stuff for a hole DVD and it exists
    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...409&Itemid=305

    I can only write my suggestion again....
    I take it you've seen this video? Its an overview of the tools that are available in Houdini.

    Houdini's Fur system in general is limited off-the-shelf but open under-the-hood. Although it has some of the essentials the main area, grooming, is lacking.

    So i can only write my suggestion again.

    If you read my post, CVEX (pertaining to Fur) is something that is really lacking. There isn't even official documentation for it.

    And to say there isn't enough for a whole DVD, look in the store. Python, Particle Effect even Technical Rigging Vol 1, 2 and 3 can fit on a DVD with tons of space to spare.

    So it would be kinda helpful to have a small DVD on a subject that no one has explored but is pretty great i demand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle66 View Post
    It is not important which Network Types (POP, DOP, CVEX VOP, etc.) this next tutorial DVD has - it is important to make finally something realistic stuff, because this doesn't exits for Houdini.
    You want the "make something realistic DVD"

    Making things realistic is all about lighting and materials, and there are tons of DVD's on that, doesn't really need to be Houdini Specific. Plus there is a HDRI material DVD here that will take you through VOPS pretty extensively.


    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle66 View Post
    Their are many independent or Apprentice real filmmakers outside the big studios which use Houdini for CG Elements in Real Footage and with this tutorial you should learn how to get realistic final results with HD.
    Maybe, but that is mainly a matchmoving (not in Houdini) and compositing job.
    Houdini compositor is adequate at the moment, i would wait to see if they upgrade it. Before creating any focused content on it.
    site


    insert witty comment here

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by phrenzy84 View Post
    You want the "make something realistic DVD"

    Making things realistic is all about lighting and materials, and there are tons of DVD's on that, doesn't really need to be Houdini Specific. Plus there is a HDRI material DVD here that will take you through VOPS pretty extensively.
    I've been holding back from commenting on that subject for a while, but seeing Phrenzy pretty much speak my mind, I decided to chime in

    Please do note - the following comments are my own opinion, and in no way reflect the direction 3DBuzz may or may not be taking with future DVDs:

    Really, there are 3 key areas (in my opinion) to live action and CGI integration: Camera tracking, shaders/lighting, and compositing. 2 of those 3 I would personally tackle in other applications, external to Houdini. The only aspect I would tackle in Houdini (shaders/lighting) has already been covered to some depth by our HDRI DVD .

    Of course, the other areas of the pipeline are very important to producing a convincing result, but the skills required in those areas don't differ significantly from other types of CG work - for which there is a huge amount of existing training material available. The only thing required of making a "realistic" model, texture, or animation, is attention to detail - if you want something to be believable, it needs to have a convincing amount of detail. Attention to detail at EVERY stage of the pipeline is essential for producing a photo-real result.

    I only mention this, because I too agree that there is no real need for a "make something realistic in Houdini" DVD - all the information you need is readily available. You just need to piece together the information from various sources . If anything, I believe that a "make something realistic through compositing" DVD would be much more valuable - as compositing is essential to bridging the gap between "almost realistic" CGI, and a totally believable integration.

    Just my thoughts on the subject

    Cheers,
    Steve

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wien, Vienna
    Posts
    122
    well, since I just ordered the rigging and shading-DVD's, (hope to get a really big American lolly-pop for this - like this one ) I have enough to watch - so next tutorial can wait.
    seriously, there are character rigging DVD's but no character modelling, so I suggest a modelling tutorial like this , because I can believe that there is no advantages in character modelling with Houdini procedurally work flow.
    Beginner/Houdini/3D

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kassel, Germany
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetwist View Post
    Really, there are 3 key areas (in my opinion) to live action and CGI integration: Camera tracking, shaders/lighting, and compositing. 2 of those 3 I would personally tackle in other applications, external to Houdini.
    This is exactly what i mean. Perhaps is 3DBUZZ the wrong place for this complete CG / Footage workflow tutorials, because its also Syntheyes´or, Boujou, NUKE, AfterEffects or Fusion. But i bet, not many people in this (and other) forum knows, how all these works seamless togehter, and make anything of my stuff i posted before in Houdini... (ex.: bring Motion Tracking Data to Houdini, make the perfect Camera projection, create Light and Shaders that works with the footage and composite the animated Render outputs seamless in the footage, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevetwist View Post
    Of course, the other areas of the pipeline are very important to producing a convincing result, but the skills required in those areas don't differ significantly from other types of CG work - for which there is a huge amount of existing training material available. The only thing required of making a "realistic" model, texture, or animation, is attention to detail - if you want something to be believable, it needs to have a convincing amount of detail. Attention to detail at EVERY stage of the pipeline is essential for producing a photo-real result.
    dito. But this attention to detail for finals output i missing in many Houdini tutorials (not only here, also most other online class companies make simple things but nothing perfect). It's a more or less detail overview of the tools that are available in Houdini. The perfect Details which are specially needed for real footages with CG you can't learn by try and error in Houdini.

    And important for me is: The final Houdini Details are complete different to ALL other 3D Apps like maya, xsi, c4d or Lightwave!

    Okay, i think here in this forum is not the Home for Great Filmmakers - so its hopeless ...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    I'd like to see some comprehensive CHOPS video tutorials.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kassel, Germany
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by splitpoint View Post
    I'd like to see some comprehensive CHOPS video tutorials.
    I think this exixts?

    CHOPS Animation I
    http://vimeo.com/7488503

    CHOPS Animation II
    http://vimeo.com/7489073

    And after this two videos tutorials you tell us, what you do with CHOPS outside Houdini

    Oh, perhaps i have an Idea: you put in your Syntheyes Tracking Data, build a vehicle dynamics simulator with the CHOPS, implement Smoke and a Mantra shader, replace a footage ground entirely through CG and add the smoke seamless to the ground and replace the far away footage objects with CG-Elements.

    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...1678&Itemid=68

    But this last finally easy steps falls behind the scope of this course here....

    Happy CHOPS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •