Exclamation XNA has its own framework ?

Hi,
    I get a curious error when I try to install. The error claims I need first to install C# 2005 Express. Then the only option is to click 'OK' which ends the attempt. However I do have C# 2008 installed. ??????
    Last edited by Whiteoxe; 12-02-2009 at 09:53 PM.

What version of xna are you trying to use? I believe anything bellow xna 3.0 does not work with vs 2008
    PSN : VenticalLamma (no ps3 at the moment) | Xbox live : Dj Whip It Out | Steam ID : undead_killa

Sgt.Matt Baker: You really get to know a man if you get to watch him die, that moment right before he realizes its over, that moment his face reflects every decision he's ever made, what kind of life he led and if he regrets it

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Well all i did was type in 'Download XNA' in google and followed a link and downloaded, from microsoft I believe. I assumed it was latest version, however it is version 2.0

thanks for resolving that for me.

I am downloading now

Why is a new runtime or framework used for this. My understanding is XNA is a new runtime and classes for many things including XBox controllers etc. Why not use the .Net framework /runtime that everyone else uses.

I learnt VB, well I did a course. At the time I was staying in a 'Villiage' and they would reqularly stuff up or be confused about rent payed or owing. So I wrote an app driven by access that was 'Fool' proof. I never did get tempted to show it to the owners/managers as you can imagine they would not be impressed by one of their residents coming up with their own solution But since then I have not had the imagination/knowledge to write another program. Maybe I hope, C# and XNA will light a fire !
    Last edited by Whiteoxe; 12-04-2009 at 04:34 AM.

XNA is using the .Net framework.

Why would management not be impressed with a resident coming up with somebody showing them a solution to rent issues?

Hi, I believe the XNA Framework is based on the .NET Framework . But its modified. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

About the rent issue, well they already had a computer system in place and it didn't seem to be working as good as I thought it should. They seemed to have a lot of difficulty and staff seemed inept at using puter systems. I figured all this would only make em more wary and distrustfull and as it was a bigish business they would only want whatever they had ,replaced by a company's well supported software that they could trust. Ireally did enjoy making the app though. Making my own transaction objects and data objects. Felt like I was really getting into the spirit of OO.

Perhaps if I had more faith in me I could have approached, I had intended to , it's what motivated me to begin the project which took weeks. But I enjoyed it so much I ended up doing it for its own sake and showing it to someone else was then never that important.

So why the modified framework for games dev ?

A. make a api/framework that can show the power of c# in complex games and that you don't have to use native code to have good performance.

B. make an api that developers can quickly prototype a game for the pc /xbox 360 with minimal or any code changes.

i believe does are the reasons why but i can be wrong, (if i remember correctly it was something around does line)
    PSN : VenticalLamma (no ps3 at the moment) | Xbox live : Dj Whip It Out | Steam ID : undead_killa

Sgt.Matt Baker: You really get to know a man if you get to watch him die, that moment right before he realizes its over, that moment his face reflects every decision he's ever made, what kind of life he led and if he regrets it

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

XNA is not a modified version of the C# framework. It's a code library.

At the top of your classes, there's a bunch of using statement. These say which code library you would like the class to have access to. So this gives you access to Vector2's, Vector3's, Texture2D's, Model's, SoundEffect's, SpriteBatch, etc. All of these things C# didn't have before, but the XNA framework (which is a C# code library) gives you access to all of these things

Why did they pick C#? The goal of making XNA was to make games easier to develop. They were trying to open up game design to many more people who wanted to make their own games and have absolute control over every aspect, without having to get bogged down with the nitty gritty details, such as Memory Management (.Net has the Garbage collector )
    The creators wanted to shift the focus off a lot of the technical aspects of Game Programming and instead let developers focus on working on their games design.
    To that end, it's actually worked pretty well - You don't have to create content importers for all your project, you've got a very powerful rendering engine, and the Update and Draw loops are already taken care of for you

Basic overview, hope it helps clear things up a bit.