Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mastering Unreal Technology vs Unreal 3 VTMs

So I have been watching the VTMs and are finding them helpful. I am wondering if it is worth purchasing the Mastering Unreal Technology books. I don't want to if I am not going to get any new material out of it though.

Volumes I & II are something like 1800 pages combined. I'm just going to go out on a limb and say you will find some new material in them.

Is it really that big of a wager for you? You wrote them!

In all seriousness: I've got no idea, but books tend to contain more content than VTMs.. Sometimes..

Sincerely,

Mossa Nova
    Mossa "Nova" Merhi

Buy the books. You'll be very happy.

-Bleda

I would buy the books, if you are confident with unreal editor then maybe not get the first one, but the second one is a must!

i just got the books the other day, have not had a chance to study them seriously yet. but the VTM's rock, i think if you just want to get started in mapping the the VTM's are the way to go, but if you want to know how to make the map of all maps then books are the way to go.the one thing i have not seen in the vtm's or the books(given i have just skipped over most for now) is advanced bsp only level design, like say in the h.o.l.p map packs. so if someone can tell me how to do that please. every time i try, i get bsp holes and i fall out of world.

Agreed. The second volume is a must! (denting my desk right now.) I read myself to sleep every night with it (and dream of the Kismet editor) and squash bedbugs.

Quote Originally Posted by REVEX View Post
    the one thing i have not seen in the vtm's or the books(given i have just skipped over most for now) is advanced bsp only level design, like say in the h.o.l.p map packs. so if someone can tell me how to do that please. every time i try, i get bsp holes and i fall out of world.
    I thought that bsp should be avoided for anything "advanced". Static meshes should be used for detail and not bsp. Static meshes can be instanced while bsp can not. I may be wrong though...

I'm ordering from amazon UK now. They offer 77 GBP for all three books. Should I take the offer and wait for the third book (has it shipped in US yet)?
    Last edited by thomasfenger; 11-12-2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Spleling Erorrs
    Have a better one..

Quote Originally Posted by nihonlvr View Post
    I thought that bsp should be avoided for anything "advanced". Static meshes should be used for detail and not bsp. Static meshes can be instanced while bsp can not. I may be wrong though...
    Yeah, I'm watching the VTM's as well these days. And I come from an UnrealEd 2.0 background (which was released, oh, some ~10 years ago).

I was at a shock when the VTM's advised not to use the special brush button ever again! Things are done very differently now, almost everything is done with meshes compared to the old unreal days and the BSP 'artism' those maps had. And the new animation stuff, kismet, making movers that are so easy to script.. I'm really liking what the new unrealed offers.

The real reason I'm getting back to unrealed is because of the UDK, of course. But since it's basically the same editor as the one in UT3, I'm watching the UT3 VTM's to see whats new. I haven't touched UnrealEd in well over 4 years now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast