Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hmmmmm, So let me get this straight - I can't use any OnGUI() functions - does this include OnGUI() itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat_Brummitt View Post
    Hmmmmm, So let me get this straight - I can't use any OnGUI() functions - does this include OnGUI() itself?
    OnGUI is the function. It's fantastic for everything except iPhone. I love the UnityGUI system, and it will work on iPhones. But depending on how much you have going on, it could really impact performance. It would be best to go with GUITexture and GUIText components. They are not objects that get called in the OnGUI(), instead they are components just like Rigidbodies, etc.

Cheers,

BuZZ

Ah, excellent, that clears that up for me

Thanks!

Mat

Cool busy busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by busbyj View Post
    Ian: I know you've watched the first set of vids for me.. thank you. You may need to play with UDK for the next few days as I'm trying to wrap up a curriculum. I've been bouncing back and forth over the past week with curriculum development and realworld projects. I just wanted you to know that I've not forgotten you. Now, if you have done some exploration in Unity, please let me know what you've been up to! And if not, no worries, I have been reworking upcoming assignments to make things a bit more interesting (and fun!)

BuZZ
    You don’t have to thank me for watching those videos mate as you sent me the link for them and I enjoyed following them too. Like I said in my other post don’t worry about the time it takes to get these VTMs out as we can wait.

The only thing I did after completing the videos was to stop the player firing multiple times. So I added a global(if that is right) Boolean to check if I was allowed to fire. The condition was that there was no other bullet on screen. But once it had left the screen either by going off the top or by hitting the enemy then you could fire again.

Well the wife has had me decorating as you know. Boy was that a tough thing to do when your in a wheelchair! And here's the proof:-

"To boldly reach where no disabled person has reached before!"

At the moment she has me decorating again! this time it's the bedroom. So altough I would love to sit here and play with Unity I cannot for the next few days atleast.

Hey Mat_Brummitt I don't suppose you could post some sceens of what your doing as I would love to see. That goes for the rest of you guys too.

Ah well back to the grind!
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

Haha, what is it with wives at the moment and decorating? I too was suckered into painting the games room only a couple of weeks ago - Eggshell blue! It's not like she even goes in there very much as it's full of gadgets, guitars and games consoles. Come to think of it, it's not a games room, it's an "everything-I-plan-to-do-when-I-find-the-time room"!

Windy, i'll be sure to post some screens when I have something to show - i've somehow regressed from quietly confident back to gawping at the screen, too timid to start punching out some good stuff... In fact, I find myself wanting tea breaks far too frequently - until I started Unity, I didn't really DO caffeine! lol

I'm guess i'm one of those people who just needs an extra bit of hand-holding to get me going and then i'm a force to be reckoned with ... something like that anyway.

Buzz, I haven't totally wasted this evening gawping - I got into photoshop and designed some coloured buttons and i've got them sitting in a Textures/Resources folder as PNGs

Oh and Windy, great paint job right there - you've done a hell of a better job than me, cutting in!

Cheers

Mat
    Last edited by Mat_Brummitt; 12-07-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Hey Mat,

I've attached a VERY SIMPLE example that will give you the push you need. I've left a few comments in there for ya. Don't make the game any more complex than it has to be

Here's a quick GUITexture exampe. It is extremely simple, but it does a good job of demonstrating how fast you can create some buttons that can have their color altered at runtime. You'll find just enough to make you dangerous

Windy!! The hall is looking great Yeah, I bet that was challenging.. my arms would have been killing me after about 5 minutes. Hopefully you'll have it all wrapped soon!

Nice job setting up a state that would control if the ship could or could not fire Experimentation can be a blast with Unity!

Ok.. I'm back to work. Loads of stuff going on today, and I'm still suffering from getting only 3 hours of sleep. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to go on tonight.. we'll see!

BuZZ

Hey man,

thanks for taking the time to prepare that for me, i've taken a look and it all looks good - however, i'm just wondering if colouring the button with code will work in my case - I have a button which has an outter glow on it, and the button is shaped a little so that when positioned on the screen, there's a little circular area where score can be kept and displayed. Would colouring the button mess with the transparent area, or will it all be ok?

Right now i'm building the foundations of the game again using the state design pattern (or the parts that I need to use anyway) and trying to go from memory where possible - However, currently getting stuck with the compiler telling me I cannot declare static variable types - after checking your example, mine seems to match up... I've opted NOT to make my Game class a partial class at this stage until I need to (just to keep things clearer in my mind)... I'll tell you what, i'll make a new thread for this issue for future reference to benefit others...

Thanks again

Mat

Hey guys!

I was in the 3rd XNA 101 class. I'm not terribly good at programming, though my biggest problem is writing code from scratch. But like a moth to a flame I keep coming back because I've wanted to make a game all my life. I'd put programming training aside for the last year or so to really focus back on what I am good at: 3ds Max and what I want to be good at: Zbrush.

I'm in school for animation now, learning a lot of traditional animation with a lightbox and animation disc. But again, I hear Unity is free and there I am downloading it... course then I was banging my head into the desk saying "why doesn't 3dbuzz have training for this?!" and my prayer was answered.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Unhappy A small bug in the plan..

Just to let you guys know of a small bug. If you have Visual C# 2008 Express Edition then you will not be allowed to simply double click a .CS file in Unity and open it up in Visual Studio.

Because when you go to the Edit menu and choose preferences to set it up you will receive the following error.

I am still trying to figure out a workaround to this but I am not having much luck.
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

I'll have to see if I have the Express edition on any of my machines. I too run the Full Visual Studio 2008 so I never noticed any issues. I know I used Express on one of my machines, so I'll find it and see if I can help any.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast