First character using 3DS Max & ZBrush

I am starting to feel pretty competent with Poly modeling, so I decided it is time to learn some new tricks. I have been working with Z Brush a bit and am going to tackle my first photo-real female character. This one will be a nude.

My goal is to start with my Poly model (3,400 polys), take her into Z BRush for sculpting, and texture painting. Then export a slightly higher poly model along with texture, normal, and bump maps for final use in Max.

I wanted to start this thread because it seems that there is a lot of uncertainty about this workflow out there, and I thought it might serve as a good guide for others as well as a place for me to learn from those who have done this before.

I will mostly be posting screen-shots for awhile. If anyone wants to see something in more detail just let me know. Here are the screenshots of the original poly model:

First Z-Brush

OK, so the truth is I was already into sculpting this model a bit when I decided to start this thread. So my first ZBrush images show a fair amount of progress.

I began doing some rough sculpting at SubDiv level 4. I am sculpting finer details at a SubDiv level of 6, which amounts to 3.466 Million points for this model. Looks like I will be exporting an OBJ that is 13,587 polys back into Max when this is all finished.

Here are progress photos:

I already have a question for anyone with experience in this work-flow:
    Right now my character is all mapped to one set of UVW coordinates. How would I split it up if I wanted to, say, create seperate texture maps for the face, torso, and limbs?

I know that it is imperative that I do not have any overlapping UVWs in ZBrush, so do I have to break the model up? If so, what is the best process for avoiding seams in moth the texture maps and the sculpted model?

Thanks!

you can break the character up and reassemble later, which is a good workflow for when you have seperate objects already, like body / bodyarmor /clothes etc, but it will not be a good solution for a full body model like this. normal maps wont blend into each other well, polypaint will be problematic, and there's probably gonna be a lot of other problems. The multi displacement 3 plugin in zbrush should allow you to have seperate uv coordinates - at least that's what zak does in adp (he's working in maya), so maybe that would be worth looking into.

waffenwars,

Thanks for the tip. I spent last night familiarizing myself with the MULTI DISPLACEMENT 3 plugin and, you are correct. It looks like it will export both normal and displacement maps for multi UV tiles. So that is good news.

So the only remaining piece that is missing for me is: If I paint my model within Zbrush (diffuse, bump, and specular textures), how do export these textures using the multiple UV tiles? It does not look like there is any way to export anything other than displacement and normal maps from MULTI DISP 3, and as far as I can tell, Z mapper and the ordinary texture exporter do not deal with multiple UV tiles.

So my thought is that maybe the only way to do this is to break the model up and export a separate map for each part after painting??????
    Maybe the answer is to use SubGroups????

Anyone who has an idea about this, I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks!

I found something over at Pixologic's forum that might be my answer:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...ighlight=tiles

Thought I would post this in case anyone else finds themselves here with the same question. Or so that I can revisit it when I have LOST MY MIND!