Any alternatives to animated GIFs?

Is there a way to play an animation on a web page other than an animated GIF that will allow the use of an alpha channel?

I've got an animation that is about 3.5 MB. It loads pretty slowly and I can't control the playback speed (I need to synchronize it with other elements on the page and different browsers seem to play it at different speeds).

Any suggestions?

Flash...Unfortunately.

- RENDER FARM FOR SALE! PM ME - Now Learning: Maya Rigging - Follow me on Twitter @KeithDemele -

Animated PnG, like the button on my sig bar below maybe? -EDIT: althought it only seems to work with firefox, not sure about chrome, or opera, but it's not supported by IE8
    Last edited by BabylonWanderer; 10-23-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    My Current WIP: AIRWOLF using Maya

Quote Originally Posted by BabylonWanderer View Post
    althought it only seems to work with firefox, not sure about chrome, or opera, but it's not supported by IE8
    Doesn't work with Chrome... (I don't have Opera, so can't try it)

I would have suggested Flash also. However, if my mind is working properly, even with Flash you're going to have different load times on every machine. When someone views your page, each element will load at different times depending on their machine and Internet connection. I'm assuming each of your elements are separate files... this will cause the issue of loading times.

One idea is to have the whole page Flash.... *eek*...
    - Rik

Can we see the animation?

I wish I could show them, but the site information is proprietary and I can't show it without their okay... I'll be checking on that.

I can describe it fairly simply though. I've got a block of color with a PNG with the company name on top of it (the header), and a side bar with a matching color. There is a main image (offset by the header and sidebar), and a striped footer with 4 links and a spinning cube (the company logo).

On the home page, the color of the header and the sidebar change every 10 seconds, along with the main image, as does the spinning cube. Once one of the 4 links at the bottom is selected, the corresponding link shows a static color and image with information specific to that division of the company.

I do 3D arch viz and some videography for this company, and they asked me to do their website as well. They know I don't know a lot about web design, but I want to do as good a job for them as I can.

I have Flash, but don't know how to use it (I got the Adobe CS3 production suite and that came with it) and only know a little CSS and HTML. Any help I can get is much appreciated (explanation on how to do stuff and/or tutorial links and the like would be helpful).

you can try swish, it is easier than flash

The only way I can see you getting the animations in sync would be to use some sort of javascript and a counter.

You can to some degree make animated images with javascript. http://www.sbrady.com/hotsource/java.../animated.html However it will not look as good as the gif in terms of transition if there's only a part of the picture that is moving inbetween each frame.

With javascript you could go the extra step and have it load in the images the "ajax" way, so that the initial load time for the page will go way down.

you could use a combination of flash and javascript. When something happens on the page that you want to sync, like a click, call a function in the flash from javascript.