View Poll Results: are you interested in making a game as a team on 3dbuzz

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes!

84 72.41%
  • no!

6 5.17%
  • I don't care or im too busy or some other excuse.

26 22.41%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincher View Post
    Edited my post to include some pics.
    I LOVE the concept art! good stuff. Especially the Troll! are you down for that type of stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Lerich View Post
    I would very much enjoy being apart of a team based project. I have done UE3 team mods for school over the past couple of years so I have a bit of experience with Kismet and the UE3 engine.

I do have a full time job so the amount of time I could contribute would be limited but I'd be willing to help out in any way that I can. I spend most of my time on this site in the programming areas although I do have art experience. (though it is not my preference)

Check out my website for examples of some of the work I have done.

www.richardThoma.com

Also, I would like to throw up a warning, it is very easy to bite off more the you can chew when trying to create a mod in UE3. (I know this from experience) So i would suggest trying something small first and then expanding on it once you know that you can accomplish the first step.

Hey there, thanks for the interest. Yes, I am aware of the ambitiousness bug that ruins 99% of the projects. With that in mind, I had intended on creating just one level to see how the team fleshes out. That way we have the good morale going. From there we can start to flesh it out more and more a bit at a time. As long as we set milestones and accomplishments things should go ok. I Think problems arise when people begin a project not knowing the level of work needed to put in. For us to make a full game i expect it to take a year or a year and a half ( or even more as this is not full time. )

Would you be interested in helping with kisment sequences or even advising/tutoring interested candidates who may have more time to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by ganglandceo View Post
    I LOVE the concept art! good stuff. Especially the Troll! are you down for that type of stuff?
    Yep, I'm always down for concept work and reference images. I would like to be involved in modelling too.

I like the idea of doing 1 level to see how we work etc. It may be a cool idea to get an IRC channel (or similar) on the go to talk about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincher View Post
    It may be a cool idea to get an IRC channel (or similar) on the go to talk about everything.
    I also agree, or maybe a wiki like something from www.wetpaint.com

i think that a wiki would be the best as everyone can see our progress and communication. I will look into the wetpaint.com site and see what I can get up and running on there. Will keep everyone posted.

Minchner. Of course. The more help the better so if you want to model I am not opposed to that at all. The purpose of this is for us all to get better at what we love to do!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post

Hey he looks familiar!

Thats great, but:
    Instead of doing a mod using unreal, why not use something like unity3d and make a game from scratch?
    In case u end up finishing it, and it end up looking good, u could sell it and start a real game company.

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Thats great, but:
    Instead of doing a mod using unreal, why not use something like unity3d and make a game from scratch?
    In case u end up finishing it, and it end up looking good, u could sell it and start a real game company.
    reason being, making a level is a bit more accessible. However, a C++ coder emailed me earlier so it is something to look at. maybe some sort of iphone disto. It all depends on the team. Right now just trying to get some momentum of a team going. I say give it about another day or so then on monday I will have the wiki up. from there we can start fleshing out the team a bit more structured. Then we can decide what our current skillsets will allow. From there we will begin the creative round table to develop our game Idea. then We shall see. Everyone wish us luck!

Making any kind of game in a team with any kind of complexity is a very hard thing to manage. Especially when teams get bigger than 5-6 people things can become really hard.

Past weeks at college I was trying to be teamlead but even when you see eachother in person its like herding a bunch of cats.

I'll tell you these things to keep in mind.
    (These are just a few I can think of of the top of my head, theres a lot more to making a game)

-1- Have a team structure, Teamlead, Art Lead, Tech Lead, Design Lead are the basics.
    Team lead takes care of the planning and solves problems in the pipeline, everything related to the project Management.

Under him are the Art (everything visible), Tech (everything programming) and Design (game mechanics and overall feel of the game) Leads.
    Leads delegate tasks to the people below them, but be carefull not to become a dictator, listen to your people, try out there ideas if there is time to do this and then decide if you like it or not.

-2- The Tech and Design lead should make a SELF STANDING and COMPLETE game design document before production can begin, the GDD is a document that describes "ALL" aspects of your game and should be understandable for anyone who is not initiated in your team.

This is especially important if you are not all sitting at the same office, if you want people around the world to do anything right, make sure they have all the information they need to produce what you want to produce.

-3- Set up convensions, Naming, File types, texture sizes, model sizes, polycounts etc.
    Not doing this will wreak havoc on your pipeline and cause the gears to grind to a halt.

-4- Once you have a pipeline, TEST IT. Before starting any work make sure you don't have any bottlenecks. you don't want to find out halfway through the project the programmers don't know the engine they are working with
    (I've had that happen, and it sucks.)

-5- A game engine to start with could be A7 gamestudio, Its a complete package with model, level and script editor, though not completely bug free, if you want to create a first game, its a start, but Its not the most loved engine out there.
    Other engines to work with could be torque 3D or OGRE.

-6- The teamlead and design lead should set up a tiered planning, meaning that the most vital things need to happen first. Then the next tier down etc.
    Make sure that after each tier you have a working piece of software.
    Even if after the first tier all you have is an object that can jump and walk through a game world. This counts for both the programmers and the artists.

-7- To solve problems in your team (good to do this at the end of every workday.) sum up the problems and try to find the sympons, the underlying cause and then a solution.
    Allways keep an eye on your biggest risk (that has not been solved yet).
    Also let the team members show what they have done that day to one another.

-8- Be very carefull of feature creep, creating even a simple game will require a lot of work and constantly adding additional feature to the list can cause your project to never get done (it can also make balancing it very hard). Make sure with your programmers that what your planning to do is possible (this also counts for the programmers when they have ideas).

-9- In the end everything comes together in level design, programmers and artists WORK TOGETHER towards this goal, keeping the artists and programmers in the loop of eachothers work every working day is important as it creates transparancy in the team. Once you get to level design everything will come together. (art and code) and you want this stage to go as smooth as possible.

-10- No sacred grounds or Ivory towers.
    Make sure your team members don't have ideas that they think will be THE BEST THING since sliced bread which they will not let go of. The design lead needs to make sure that everything connects together and that features and art fit into your game's feel and look.

No Ivory towers means that people need to listen to one another, if infomation only effects things in one direction (one person might not listen himself but demand that other people listen) you will have team problems sooner or later.
    Last edited by hyperforce; 10-18-2009 at 06:31 AM.

An excellent post hyperforce, and definitely things we'd need to discuss/consider before moving forward.

Hopefully soon, we'll have some method of getting together online and discussing our ideas etc.

Thanks for taking the time to help us out!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast